ZEOvit. Lets talk

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mojoreef said:
Oh man that is horrible Edward!!!!!! I dont think I have ever seen a tank so clogged up with those LR parasites before!! I would take a scraper and clean the beautiful rock my friend!!

J/K

Mike
thats what i was thinking when i saw your tank :)
and to make it even worse, the tank is in L schape OMG get thos "LR parasites" out of there,

Heinz, but I thought it was recommended for those going in or coming off zeo should do it slowly to let the corals adjust. Otherwise, there could be same bacteria fluxes and algae blooms. With this stuff going on, I'm guessing it wouldn't be the best for the corals. Who knows, I just like to think "worst case scenario" on everything. I know G. Alexander stated that he has gone 3 weeks without any dosing so maybe it would be fine.

I must have misunderstood what I read about skimming. So wet skimming is the way to go then...

How about fish load? Are zeo users running light fish loads to aid in maintaining a nutrient poor environment. Or can you have a moderate fish load and still have success with the system?

Travis said:
I have a question on skimming. It seems that from what I've read, zeo users are typically using high performance venturi skimmers set to produce very dry/dark skimmate.
I and many others agree “wet” skimming from the view of exporting nutrients works effective. Especially in tanks which are follow the tank size recommendations by most of the skimmer manufacturers, which are IMO sometimes a little bit huge. It is recommended with the system to skim “wet” at the beginning to eliminate nutrients effective. Later on, when you tank is really nutrient poor this, IMO is positive but not a must. This all depends to the effectiveness and size of the skimmer. As you know, most of the zeo users keep SPS and maybe this is the answer why they use oversized skimmers. They always like to reach the optimum. The skimmer is the primary equipment for the system.
Travis said:
One thing that worries me about possibly trying this system is what would happen if a contamination of bacteria or other supplement or some other unforseen disaster happened on the manufacturer's end? Would a lot of systems go downhill really fast? What would happen if T. Pohl shut down shop for some reason.
Hmm, what would happen ? I would be very unhappy, because I like the system so much. For me it really would not be easy to find a good alternative. However, to the tank, the same would happen as one decides to stop the system. Depending to your husbandry & bioload, nutrients will rise over a longer period. Lets guess you do not change anything than stopping the system, corals slow will get darker over the time. If your system runs stabile in a nutrient poor phase while you stop, nutrients will not jump up quick. This can last weeks, depending to your nutrient import and export. As we all know how sensitive our corals are, I would recommend to stop the system by slowly reducing the dosage and the zeolite over a two or three week period. This would be more a general advise to prevent quick environment changes which the corals do not like. After my return the tank looked fine, just a little bit darker tissue and weaker coloration which come back quick.
Travis said:
What would happen if a natural disaster like an earthquake or tornado took out T. Pohl's business?
This is not common in Germany – hope this will not change while our worldwide climate changes continuously.
Travis said:
With this stuff going on, I'm guessing it wouldn't be the best for the corals. Who knows, I just like to think "worst case scenario" on everything. I know G. Alexander stated that he has gone 3 weeks without any dosing so maybe it would be fine.
I often had a dosing break over a longer period while I was not at home. I do not like other people adding the products to the tank, because they do not know my corals which I prior use as a dosing indicator.
Travis said:
How about fish load? Are zeo users running light fish loads to aid in maintaining a nutrient poor environment. Or can you have a moderate fish load and still have success with the system?
This depends to the size of your skimmer and the husbandry. I have stocked my tank with IMO a lot of fish and did not get any problem with nutrients, but I run a oversized skimmer and care a lot about my tank.

G.Alexander

Hey guys this is a great thread and I have learned a lot...but I have a question about carbon..?? Is carbon the only thing that can be used? Or can another media such a Seachem Purigen be used in its place?

Carbon is used to reach three goals:

1. Absorbing nettle toxins from the corals
2. Keeping the water always clear to provide as much light as possible to the corals
3. Absorbing accumulated elements

I do not know what Purigen is doing, but if it also acts as a PO4 absorber I would not use it with the system. Same with all the other PO4 absorbers.

If carbon is used it should be a high quality product which is know as save.

G.Alexander

Alexander means Safe not save. :D.. He is german please forgive him lol.

But as Alexander said, I would stick with carbon, it's been used for year with success, and I am not sure what Purigen is either.

scottw

Hi SW, yes, these reactors can be DIY easily & inexpensively[<$15, depending on size].

Most zeo-users prefer the tube within a tube concept, sold by Captive Oceans & others.[refer to zeo-reactors on our website] When I began, the only zeo-reactor available was made by GroTech which I'm still using. It's sturdy construction with a perforated disc attached to the handle top requires a little more effort. It's expense place it out of the popularity with the majority of zeo-users. HTH, Bob

The talk about releasing the "mulm" leads me to a quick question... when using a zeo reactor, does the protein skimmer go in the first section of the sump or after the ZEO reactor?

That's ok. I got his personal attention on his site. That guy is teaching me a lot!
I am hoping once my tank is 6 months into the zeo (month #1 right now) I will be worthy of bringing more info and experience into this thread. I did learn a lot here also. Thanks to all who participated.

Back