ZEOvit. Lets talk

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just jumping in here again to say thank you to G. Alexander for answering my questions.
Okay...Slithering to the back again to maintain self control. lol

Hi Steve, my best answer to your question, revolves around the fact that every 6 wks. I exchange the zeolites with new. I have not noticed a change in my level of nutrients within the next wk of new zeolites, nor a change in my corals, Bob

sryder

No, that is pretty such myth as the salt concentration is not high enough and ammonia, actually ammonium NH4- ranks as # 4, just behind Cesium, Rubium Potassium as the ions of choice the zeo will pic up first.

Cs > Rb > K > NH4 > Ba > Sr > Na > Ca > Fe > Al > Mg > Li

Zeolites have been used for two decades in salt water. You know them as "Nitrate Sponges", they are one and the same, Clinoptilolite.

so let me see if i got this right. the zeolites are used to absorb ammonia and other nutrients. then they are colonized (or overloaded) with nitrifying bacteria which form a biofilm. the bacteria are then fed an amino acid or vitamin formula which is shaken off of the zeolites along with the biofilm to feed the nutrient deficient aquarium. the zeolites are then replaced every 6 weeks when spent and also for nutrient export. heavy protien skimming will remove the remainder of the bacteria and biofilm which is not used.
feeding and colonization depends on system load.
good husbandry and water movement seems to still be key.

does the zeolite chamber have to be located in the sump or can it be a stand alone unit pumped strait from the display?

What are other observences have people noticed ? such as less nutrient enriched water = more light. any ill effects on nutrient feeders such as snaiols, worms. etc...

how often is the chamber shaken? is it like normal feeding every other day?
do fish eat or injest any of this?

one more thing guys. mike has some of the nicest corals i have seen. id love to see some of mikes coral pics compared to your own zeolite coral pics...... just for comparison of course.....

Sryder I have seen alot of the same species of corals in zeovit tanks that I have in my tank. For color they seem to be of the same hue, but the zeo's are lighter.

Mike

Mike, your resumation is a good practical model for what we see in our reefs :)
The zeolite filters are made to be both internal & external by Madison[OUinLA]. Most zeo-users place the filter in their sump, but some do use it externally to save sump space. What matters is the flow rate not it's location. The handle pump is actuated manually once or twice a day to remove mulm, biofilm & free zeolite surfaces for filtration.
For sure the water becomes crystal clear. Since using ZEOvit method[15 mos.] I've needed to raise my 400W'ers on two occasions & am now comtemplating swapping these for 250W's. Invertebrate filter-feeders do fine, even with my Hanna P04 readings of .00 on a regular basis. My few LPS & clams especially are blooming with outstanding color easily noted in clear waters.
Mike here is an exceptionally gifted aquarist with outstanding corals. His coral colors at very good & the envy of any reefer. For Zeo-reefs/corals, I would refer you to many of our user's gallery for pix's of their corals & reefs on ZEOvit.com Bob

thanks guys, hey bob, you have mentioned the flow but not the rate. I asked about the location or stand alone because some people do not have space in their sump or do not have one at all. I was also concerned that if the zeolite chamber was before the skimmer that you could possibly be skimming out the mulm before it even hits the tank. alot of people also run different types of media that the mulm could get trapped in. thanks for your replies. steve P.S. I think we still need to see some of mikes pics though. :)

Steve, the zeolite filter flow-rate is 100gph per ltr. zeolite used....one uses 1 ltr. zeolite/100g net vol, therefore, as a example in a reef with a net water vol. of 200g, 2 ltrs. of zeolites are used with the filter passing water through @ 200gph. Theoretically, the zeo-filter should be the last filtration prior to one's return pump. I have in the past used the zeo-filter both in front & behind the skimmer without any apparent differences in nutrient reduction or my coral's health, therefore, my personal experience with both arrangements did not show filter placement mattered in the method process. I personally do not use any overflow filter socks or mechanical filtration other than the zeolite filter with this method in order to allow the mulm particles to move about the water column. Bob

bob, is it nescesary to run kalk and or carbon? or will other supplements do?

Steve, while carbon is not a must with ZEOvit, the coral colors will be more bright with the use of carbon. Generally, KW is not used with ZEOvit, as it precipitates P04's which leach back into solution during the normal diurnal pH swings in our water, Bob

Steve, the chronic use of CaCl to boost the Ca levels in a low-nutirnt environment[ZEOvit] can result in excess Cl ions[water composition imbalances] which can have coral consequences. Bob

Oh man that is horrible Edward!!!!!! I dont think I have ever seen a tank so clogged up with those LR parasites before!! I would take a scraper and clean the beautiful rock my friend!!

J/K

Mike

Excellent tanks invinc, G.Alexander, and ggjeff.

This thread has been great so far. I've learned so much more from it than all of the controversial zeo threads on a couple other forums that I followed, which were always shut down and rarely did any good information come from them. Reading this thread has really got me thinking more about this method and "maybe" even trying it out in the future.

I have a question on skimming. It seems that from what I've read, zeo users are typically using high performance venturi skimmers set to produce very dry/dark skimmate. I run a MR-6 dual beckett 4 foot skimmer on my 400 gallon BB system. I tend to skim wet. So why are all the zeo users going for the dry skimmate? My guess would be to allow the bacteria to stay in the water longer for corals to feed on it rather than stripping it out as fast as you can.

One thing that worries me about possibly trying this system is what would happen if a contamination of bacteria or other supplement or some other unforseen disaster happened on the manufacturer's end? There would be a long period of time where the supply would not be available to the zeo users. Would a lot of systems go downhill really fast? What would happen if T. Pohl shut down shop for some reason. Although this would be extremely unlikely, as he is surely bringing in the big money, but it is always possible. What would happen if a natural disaster like an earthquake or tornado took out T. Pohl's business? These aquariums are relying on the products being produced by T. Pohl. If production stops, there aren't other products that can be substituted. These tanks are all relying on one person to keep providing them with the elements needed to keep running. Other methods of reefkeeping rely on natural biological processes in the tank itself. All that is needed to keep them running and in balance is water circulation, light, and temperature control.

Back