zoa problems - solved????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I will keep that in mind, sounds like it would kill all of the snails as well, and if I can't get all of the snails out, I wonder if it would create a toxic nightmare from all of the snail dieoff?

I have some Potassium Permagnate (lab grade) if you want to try this method that Eric Borneman discusses for MEN, may work on the zoas eating variety, not sure how it will affect the soft tissue on the zoas though... more research required before we hit "go".

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php

I will keep that in mind, sounds like it would kill all of the snails as well, and if I can't get all of the snails out, I wonder if it would create a toxic nightmare from all of the snail dieoff?

Ohh yes, I'm sure all of the die-off would be more than nasty & ultra toxic. Its definitely a method to be done in a separate dipping container!!

I my have to try this method if the others fail, I am going to look tonight for eggs, and for more adults, hopefully it was just the one adult.

Ohh yes, I'm sure all of the die-off would be more than nasty & ultra toxic. Its definitely a method to be done in a separate dipping container!!

I had the brown algae on a zoa colony, you can't brush them off! I found a hydrogen peroxide dip. To start, put the zoa colony in a small tubberware, slowly add hydrogen peroxide into the water (tank water), I found it took at least 5 capfuls. Once you see that zoas colony slowly fizzes/bubbles, you have added enough hydrogen peroxide. Use a soft toothbrush to brush off algae. Dip should be about 5 minutes, remove zoas and continue to brush with tank water to remove hydrogen peroxide. You will not get all algae off but at least brown algae is now loosens up, place zoa colony in high flow. I lost some zoas 'cause it dipped it too long and didn't remove all hydrogen peroxide, it started to eat up my zoas. BTW, this dip removes bristle worms very quickly. I wonder how nudis would react to this dip?

Thanks for the info. I am not sure of the relationship, if there is one at all, but of the zoas that were closed up did have a definite brown coating to them. Maybe the "brown coating" isn't algae, maybe it is just a color change of the zoas that have been attacked by the nudi. Not sure if the algae is a secondary reaction to the zoas being attacked by the nudi, or if the zoas with brown algae are more sucseptable to nudi attacks, or maybe there is no relationship at all.

Oh I know algae is not a major problem here, but I noticed a colony with brown algae. Thought it may be helpful.

Even though they have both male and female reproductive organs, it does appear that 2 nudis are required to mate, the idea being that with both male/female organs ANY nudi is a possible mate. I am hoping that I have just one nudi, maybe it came in on a rock, or the last zoas I bought.

These things multiply fairly quickly.QUOTE]

I have potassium permanganate at the store, if it turns out to be something you want to try Tony. I use it pretty extensively with fw (it's not a common remedy because it can be quite unforgiving). They actually used it to sanitize the pond at manito last year after they euthanized all the koi with khv. I'll read through that link, but definitely do not consider using it in your main tank. It's an extremely effective oxidizer and kills organics very quickly. The nice part about it is that you can instantly neutralize it with Peroxide. It literally will suck the oxygen out of the water in a matter of minutes if you have high organics in the tank when you start. I do large volume water changes on all of my fw tanks and have still had that happen. It would scare me badly to try it with a reef tank ;).

I had great luck with the fw dips when I had them here at the house years ago. Careful scrubbing with a soft tooth brush and using my fingernail to scrape off any eggs or the whole zoo if I couldn't be sure I got the zoos off. I only had 5 or 6 colonies, so it wasn't as much of a project for me, but you've already put in a ton of hours so far! I sure hope it's easy to eradicate, now that you know for sure what it is.

Thanks Ed ;). I try to remember requests!

Barbie

I am going to take out 1 or 2 bad looking colonies tonight, and go over them very carefully. Hopefully I will not spot any eggs or nudis. Then tonight I am going to sit by the tank and watch for any adult nudis. What do you think about the FE as a tank treatment? Do you have any FE at the store, if so save 2 boxes for me, I need some anyway?

I think I'm down to a box or two at the store, but I'll check. they were on the reorder list, at least.

I honestly think if it was going to work you'd have killed them back and the zoos would have looked better last week, not steadily worse. I know, go me, kill another sale, hehe.

Barbie

Save me a box (or 2) anyway. Always good to have on hand!

I think I'm down to a box or two at the store, but I'll check. they were on the reorder list, at least.

I honestly think if it was going to work you'd have killed them back and the zoos would have looked better last week, not steadily worse. I know, go me, kill another sale, hehe.

Barbie

Yeah, It's not looking good for a few colonies. Luckily the ones I got from you were after things started to look bad, so they are happily waiting in the frag tank until they can be moved into the display tank. On a happy note, after this is all over I will probably have more room in the DT for more zoas!

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with zoa predators.

Back