Zoanthid IDs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm going to try and use a scalpel to cut those particular ones as close to the rock as possible. Unfortunately, the others are very tightly packed around them. I'll do my best to cut the part of rock that they're on. I really want these on a separate plug. I'm thinking the skirt colors are actually being effected by the other type touching them.

If you can, cut just under the flesh when you frag them. Almost like chipping off the layer of coraline underneath. That is the best way to frag a polyp. It causes less damage to the zoo, so they will keep spreading instead of trying to heal. Also, when you glue them down, it is like gluing rock to rock instead of the zoo to the rock, cuz they have a tendency to jump out of the glue cuz they don't like it. Never had one come loose when I get some of the rock with it.

BTW: I'm watching this thread to get the ID of #2. I think that is one of the ones you gave me. Super big thanks for that! :)

Peter

Peter, you're very welcome!! Hope it's doing well in your tank. It grows like crazy in mind, as you saw. I have several separate colonies of it.

Yeah, I plan on trying to cut down below the stalk and trying to get rock. Problem is, these are spread out and intermingled among this very tight group. Don't want to cause a lot of collateral damage to the rest of the rock either.

By the way, for those helping so generously with IDs, the rock with the zoanthids I most recently asked about was repositioned last night. Had to do this for photo reasons. I'll try to get some good close ups of it this morning.

Last edited:
Okay so I re-set my custom white balance to get pics a lil' closer to what the eye sees. I also used a tripod this time...lol. I really need to get a better Macro Lens!! I didn't take pics of all the Zoanthids so I'll use the same numbers for same Zoanthids that I started this out with. I'll also give a lil' detail when I get to the picture of the possible PPEs. Here goes...

#1. Possible Tubbs Blue, though they appear a little greener in lower light. Nice and Blue in the upper portions of the tank though.

Actinics
2963905055_8b5c82d9f0_m.jpg

Full Light
2963916887_c63bd28399_m.jpg

#2. Still Unknown...really want to ID this one. It grows really well in my tank and I have several colonies spread out in the tank.

Actinics
2963903941_6d81e487d1_m.jpg

Full light
2963915755_5919db46e8_m.jpg

#3. Radioactive Dragon Eyes

Actinics
2964747734_05b2fe6a3b_m.jpg

Full light
2963921469_7ddbc5498c_m.jpg

#4 Didn't photograph this time.
#5. This is the rock that has Eagle Eyes on one side, what I believe to be Fire and Ice on the other side, and what I believe to be 4 or 5 PPEs intermingled amongst them. Had a hard time photographing the single polyps that I'm most interested in.

Actinics
2964746668_9705ae89ef_m.jpg

Full light (slightly over exposed so the purple of the ??? polyps is a little washed out)
2964752660_b065222586_m.jpg

Last edited:
Here's some more that hopefully show the ??? polyps a little better...
These polyps have purple eyes and a green slit for a mouth. The skirts are slightly purple but also have the appearance that they've lost color, possibly not getting along with neighbors or not enough light.

2963913353_cf5ed96780_m.jpg

2964754972_1520f52b61_m.jpg

#6 Tentatively IDd as Blowpops

Full light
2963929235_8b5761325b_m.jpg

2964761012_38c7ff6528_m.jpg

Peter, what camera are you using? I'm using a Canon RebelXt. Most of the above were taken with a 70-300 Macro and on a tripod with a delayed actuation, so I don't bump the camera. I usually use my remote switch, but batteries are dead.

Canon S5 IS. Basically a prosumer model that is the best you can get before going slr. It is weird cuz I think it is the autofocus that is messing it up.

Also, I never saw anyone with an idea of the ID for #2. :)

Peter

Back