zoo and clown fish question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Milez803

I just recently pick up a pair of clown fish from my buddy, i duno what wrong with them..i have 2 large colony of xenia and they don't seem to like to play with them..instead they are rubbing up against my large colony of zoo. Is it consider harmful to the zoo having these clown fish rubbing up and closing it every time? ..i just threw in a hammer coral with 10 heads hoping it would play with that instead..i don't want my zoo to die! any advice would help.

Milez803

There is a good chance the your clowns will irritate the Zoanthids to the point where they won't open up. If they never open, they won't get the light or food that they need and could perish, over time.

One trick that's worked quite well with getting clowns to host and sounds crazy is this:

Find a picture, online or whatever, of your species of clowns hosting in Xenia, Hammer, whatever you have that you want them to host in. Print it out, tape it to your tank so your clowns see it. Yeah Yeah, I know this sounds crazy. I thought Kevin was pulling my chain when he told me about this. I've since recommended it to several people and everyone who's tried it has been successful. This has always been with Clowns that aren't hosting something already though...so I don't know how it'll work out with Clowns that are hosting already. I've been lucky and never had to "coax" my clowns to host in anything. They've always gone right to what I wanted them in. Good luck!!

There is a good chance the your clowns will irritate the Zoanthids to the point where they won't open up. If they never open, they won't get the light or food that they need and could perish, over time.

One trick that's worked quite well with getting clowns to host and sounds crazy is this:

Find a picture, online or whatever, of your species of clowns hosting in Xenia, Hammer, whatever you have that you want them to host in. Print it out, tape it to your tank so your clowns see it. Yeah Yeah, I know this sounds crazy. I thought Kevin was pulling my chain when he told me about this. I've since recommended it to several people and everyone who's tried it has been successful. This has always been with Clowns that aren't hosting something already though...so I don't know how it'll work out with Clowns that are hosting already. I've been lucky and never had to "coax" my clowns to host in anything. They've always gone right to what I wanted them in. Good luck!!

Awesome Idea...kinda like other animals like gorillas or chimps watching TV to learn how to act in a new social group. I think this idea could really work! Nice Michael, take er ez! artguy1

Kevin deserves the gratitude. He's the one who told me about it...and I honestly thought he was pulling my leg at the time...lol. It does work!! Hey wait, I learn how to act in a social group by watching TV...what are you trying to say!!!???

Now that you mention it, I think that applies to most of us! LOL

So if I am hearing you right I can print out a picture of a Lamborghini and paste it on the door to my carport and this should work right?:lol::lol::lol:

No Wait.....I guess I would have to already have the Lamborghini sitting next to the toyota prius and get into the Lamborghini instead. So this is not going to work for obvious reasons.:D

nice seeing you again, thanks for the zoa's they are open and looking spectacular. Did yours open up yet?

The Zoas you thought would open up right away did just that, bdazz...The others are being shy but some of the green skirt is starting to come out now. We should be in good shape brotha.

Sorry to HiJack your thread Milez803....I really wanted to HiJack that Lambo in the carport saltybell.

BTW: did you see Milez803 avatar saltybell, a nice black angel similar to yours...cool avatar Milez!!!

hehe.. no picture yet..but i move the zoa and place the xenia there.. printer ran out of color ink.. let hope that works.. i just got some new zoa and i don't want them to kill it..

FWIW my clowns hosted in my large colony of RPEs/Moster Lip zoanthids for years - but it could be a lucky break - and the zoanthids from that colony were monsters (dime size at least), not the little pin pricks we see around in most cases.

Every night they would curl up in the mat with just their heads sticking out :) Zoas never minded

I vote print out a photo and watch your zoas - its possible they may end up liking one another if the photo technique fails

Back