Zoo eating Asterina?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yes. I have been reading tons about it lately, because I think this is happening to me. I've had asterinas ever since I set up my first tank with no problems, but just recently the population has increased dramatically, and so has their size. I've had a couple zoa colonies/frags slowly dying lately, and keep finding asterinas eating them. I plan on tracking down a harlequin shrimp as fast as I can, and started removing the larger ones by hand as soon as I see them. Some people are skeptical of this, because it's possible that the zoas go down hill for another reason, and then the stars eat the dying flesh, but last night I saw one on top of a previously healthy polyp, and when I removed the star the polyp came off with it and was oozing brown slimy zoa guts.

In almost all reported cases of "coral eating astarina starfish", soon after other major tank problems surfaced. I suspect that this anecdotal evidence is more of a cause and effect situation where one sees the stars after the fact, consuming dying tissue. They are predominantly algae and detritus eaters. Time will tell if some morphed into being predators but do not hear of expect much proof.

Last edited:
I have seen this with my own eyes! I watched while an asterina chewed a trail right through the mat of a perectly healthy zoa colony. There is no doubt...they do eat zoas.

In almost all reported cases of "coral eating astarina starfish", soon after other major tank problems surfaced. I suspect that this anecdotal evidence is more of a cause and effect situation where one sees the stars after the fact, consuming dying tissue. They are predominantly algae and detritus eaters. Time will tell if some morphed into being predators but do not hear of expect much proof.

I was thinking the same thing, because I did have some recent ph issues that caused a couple zoas to melt, and I believe the stars ate the dying tissue, but got a taste for it, and now turned on live healthy polyps. Like I said, last night I found one obviously eating an otherwise healthy polyp. It was attatched to the top of the polyp, and when the star was removed there was evidence that part of the polyp had been partially eaten. I am definately sure that they are munching on them. Not only has my asterina population grown tremendously, but so has their size. Look at the size of this one I found in a dying zoa frag!
16588_20100930030656.JPG

"Real time" yes...but it was over a few hours. I don't know how the devil eats or stores it's food but it definitely does.

I have experienced the same thing, and over months of observation of them attacking my zoos. It may sound nuts to allow them to devour my zoos, but I wanted to make sure for myself. I have seen zoos go from healthy to dead in a day after seeing a decent size asterina completely covering the top of the polyp, as well as polyps detached after they were hugging the stalk of the polyp. I was just curious if anyone else had similar experiences.

I have them and they eat coraline algee off of my rocks. My rock is covered in purple coraline and u see white spots all over rye place from them.

These things are a curse... I try to remove them all the time, but I never win. I've been lucky enough though that they haven't showed interest in my zoanthids or paly's yet.

Too keep the thread updated, appears not all problems blamed on these stars are from the stars.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57460
I have heard many many people blame them, but still waiting to personally watch an scavenger/algae eating creature go carnivore. Yet have too many times seen these feeding on dying corals, killed from other reasons. Some might geniunly go rogue, but still waiting to see it with my own eyes.

They do graze on coraline algae, their favorite food. I keep them in both my tanks. One with Harlequin shrimp keeps them in short supply, the other is my large display and they stay scarce and non-bothersome. Have had them in my displays for over a decade.

I have to admit I hadn't had a problem with them before and have had hundreds of them from the start. But I have found them on my RH and it later died and my BH's which cost me a couple polyps. But overall they haven't been a problem. Add a harliquin shrimp and you will have no more of them to worry about.

Too keep the thread updated, appears not all problems blamed on these stars are from the stars.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57460
I have heard many many people blame them, but still waiting to personally watch an scavenger/algae eating creature go carnivore. Yet have too many times seen these feeding on dying corals, killed from other reasons. Some might geniunly go rogue, but still waiting to see it with my own eyes.

They do graze on coraline algae, their favorite food. I keep them in both my tanks. One with Harlequin shrimp keeps them in short supply, the other is my large display and they stay scarce and non-bothersome. Have had them in my displays for over a decade.

"to keep the thread updated":lol: I believe they were acropora eating flatworms that were also irritating my LPS corals. I got rid of them and the LPS started doing better, however I still have the asterinas, and they are still munching zoas. I have been picking out as many as I can by hand, and have been waiting almost a month for the lfs to get me a harlequin shrimp.

I lost my original red hornet to astrina's...introduced harliquin to eradicate them after that.

Had the same problem. Could never keep zoa happy or alive. Harlequin shrimp - get one now or borrow one. They will eat every single one of those suckers. :) And they're pretty to boot.

Back