Zoo frag "plugs"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

danno14

That's Dumas!
Hey all- What characteristics do you like/dislike when it comes to Zoo frag plugs? Discs? Heavy/light? Large/small? Thanks for the insight. D

Even though I use them, I really don't like the clean white smooth look when you first put them in.
I've seen two different types that are different. One the acrylic one and another with a uneven top and edges, and a square peg.

I was thinking of making Big zoo frag plugs that actually start at the base with 2" disk then stack 1/2" smaller disks on top for a pyramid type structure for big growout area and then a peg on the bottom!

I was thinking of making Big zoo frag plugs that actually start at the base with 2" disk then stack 1/2" smaller disks on top for a pyramid type structure for big growout area and then a peg on the bottom!

Nice Adam so it would be like a christmas tree shape. That would actually look tight especially with different color zoos growing on it making it look like the ornaments on the tree.

Wonder if it would make sense to propogate them on some sort of plastic netting/screen - would make them easy to frag if you wanted and you could just lay it out across the sandbed or your rocks - allowing the zoos to just carpet your sand or cover the rock without "dooming" the rock to being a zoa only colony rock...

I'm sort of thinking fired ceramic discs... thick and large enough to stay on the bottom in lots of current & plenty of space for growth. Scoring the bottom so they could be quartered once the colony has expanded. Heated to 2000 degrees or so to burn off any impurities. OR smaller ones that have a square peg to fit the eggcrate, allowing for stability but minimizing tipping. More ideas are welcomed :)

Wonder if it would make sense to propogate them on some sort of plastic netting/screen - would make them easy to frag if you wanted and you could just lay it out across the sandbed or your rocks - allowing the zoos to just carpet your sand or cover the rock without "dooming" the rock to being a zoa only colony rock...
I have seen this done and it is a great way to frag them but the down fall to it is the wieght too light. It just gets blown around unless you anchor it down with some rocks.
I'm sort of thinking fired ceramic discs... thick and large enough to stay on the bottom in lots of current & plenty of space for growth. Scoring the bottom so they could be quartered once the colony has expanded. Heated to 2000 degrees or so to burn off any impurities. OR smaller ones that have a square peg to fit the eggcrate, allowing for stability but minimizing tipping. More ideas are welcomed :)

This actually sounds like a great idea Dan! How big of a disc are you thinking?

Back