Zoos arrived not looking good

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

whyaskus

Hi I’m new here, I just purchased some zoo online and the courier arrived late (2nd day) when I received them they were ice cold, I temp accumulated them and placed them in my quarantine tank and it’s been 2 days and they haven’t opened up.

I’m not sure if they are ok. I took some pictures, what do you think?

Will they be ok or should I contact the seller and do a claim?

i would give it some time sometimes it can take a few days leave them be and see what happens in the meen time contact them to let them know of the situation

When the zoos arrived they had come off the plugs (1st picture) and some of the rock that they are attached to are in pieces and the only thing holding the rock together are the zoos attached to them. Would it be a good idea to glue them back to the plug or a piece of LR or wait till they open and then glue?

I would wait a few days to see if they open before gluing them back to anything. The chemical and heat reaction will just add stress.
You should have contacted the seller on the first day when they didn't arrive.
The seller can't control the shipping company and most shipping companies don't care about " arrive alive". As far as they are concerned, if they get the package to you, they did their job.
If the seller has a arrive alive warrenty you may have a claim.
Good luck

I have kept the seller informed when they didn't arrive the 1st day and on the 2nd day when I received them I contacted him and sent some pictures he told me to give the zoos a few day then contact him if there were any losses. Then he can file claim with courier.

I know I have lost a couple that isn’t in the pics. I purchased 11 frag from the seller. But I’m not sure of what arrived and what didn’t without seeing the zoos open.

This morning when I checked on them they had some slime build up almost looked like spider egg nest on a few of the polyps. I believe it’s the slime they secrete as a defense.
I took a turkey baster and blew some if it off.

Should I take a soft toothbrush to get the rest of it off? Or should I wait a day or so?

I wouldn't go at it with a toothbrush myself, the added stress could do them harm. If you decide to, make sure it's a soft bristle and be real gentle. The concern about the mucus looking stuff is that it could be a bacterial mass. Do you have good flow going over them? If it comes back you might want to do a diluted iodine or freshwater dip.

Leave them be. Maybe use a turkey baster to keep them clean.
Hopefully a few of each survive, and they grow back quickly. Good luck

When we read/here that zoas and palys are extremely hardy, the reference is to their ability to adapt to most lighting schemes and their ability to handle less than perfect conditions. In short, they are nearly indestructible. Their weakness however is when they are in transit. They are very susceptible to slimming and BI. Many reefers ship 2 day as it is cheaper and the frags can and will survive with proper oxygen and near stable temps. Depending on just how cold they were when they arrive, as they can and will survive cooler water but not ice cold, they might survive and recover completely. Did you check the temp in the bag upon arrival? If so, do you recall what it was?

The retraction you are experiencing is normal, it is stress related and all you can do at this point is place them in a steady or oscillating stream of nedium not over powering current, run your actinics only for 2 or 3 days until they open, do not allow them to touch any other corals in your tank and just allow them to recover. There is nothing else you can do. I wouldn't try to glue anything right now. As Finn stated above, anything you do now, will further add to the stress they are so desperately trying to recover from. They will slim during the recovery process, which is why current is so important in removing the slim off the frags. If the current is too strong, that is not good, it will prevent them from expanding. I wouldn't touch them with a tooth brush either at the moment.

I would give them a few days as the wait & see approach is best for now.

Good luck my friend.

Mucho

PS. OOPs, I didn't see your mention of the dip. Dips are helpful but also semi stressful yet tolerable. I would dip later, but right now all this colony needs is stability, almost like rest after an injury. I have seen this many many times when I received corals that were ship perfectly and in bad conditions. My concern for now is just how cold they were when they arrrived.

Last edited:
Mucho Reef is THE repository of zoanthid info, so anything he/she(don't remember if it's him or her) says to do, I'd do it. If his opinion is no dips due to stress, then I'd definitely follow it. If you don't believe me, just visit the rc zoa section and this - http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/totm/index.php

What's your experience with fungus/etc after shipping, Mucho? I recall having one or two bunches get some kind of fungus/bacterial infection after shipping and a dip or two took care of it. Been a while though. I don't think they were very stressed either though.

Last edited:
That’s what I’ll do then is wait. I have them in a 10 gal tank with the Hydor nano for flow. As far as the temp was when they arrived it was about 50 F, I stopped checking once it reached that temp, so it could have been lower. I floated the bags in my main tank with the lights off for 2 hours. And then drip acclamation for another 2 then placed them in the quarantine tank with my main tank water and a couple live rocks.

I will dip when they look better.

Hey, just realized you're from Wenatchee! What's your setup? You're semi local to me, don't have many reefers (that I know of )in central washington.

I joined this site because I noticed most members are from the NW. And I was hoping that someday I could attend to some of the frag swaps.

I just started with the saltwater scene about 6 months ago, so I’m fairly new to this. But I’m always researching, reading and learning.

My setup is:
55 gal (Looking for a larger tank)
Odysea 260w pc (Currently building 400 MH with 4 T5)
100lb live rock
60lb live sand
Aqua c pro skimmer
2 Hydor 3
Fluval 405 canister

Below is a pic of my setup.

They haven’t changed much. They look a little worse than when I first got them.
I tested the water and my Nitrite went up to 0.1, I assume it’s from some of the stuff on the rock and Zoo dieing off. But I’ve been doing 1gal water changes daily.

I have them under a 400w MH about 4’ above the tank, I hope it’s high enough.

I also added more flow to blow some of the slime off.

I went to my lfs (witch it about 70 miles) and I picked up some Zoos.
I only set those on the rock and cracks.
Should I glue them on?

I just set my zoanthids in cracks in the rock. Once they start to spread they will anchor themselves.
I would move those yellow colonial polyps far away from anything else. They will sting and kill anything they come into contact with.

Look like some nice healthy zoanthids. Which lfs did you go to btw? One thing you might think about is leaving that yellow polyp rock on the sand, since as finn said, they will sting the crap out of everything, and they also tend to grow pretty quickly in certain conditions. If you want them to spread so you can frag them, just put another small rock right next to it.

Well it looks like most of the zoo lost color and have fallen off the rocks. I think there all dead. I will be contacting the seller to file claim.

LFS is in Moses lake on 3rd st. Not much here in Wenatchee, just Petco and Village pets.

I also moved the yellow polyp down toward the mid so its kind of out of the way.

Back