Zoos or Polys? ID help.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brie

BRA
Zoos or Polys? ID help. Edit: New photo

Got these in at work, and they were mislabelled. Just wondering if anyone could give me a species on these? They are HUGE for zoos. The biggest polyps are nearly 2" across. Either way I plan on buying a rock for myself. lol. Thanks!

Edit: Just FYI, this is what they do when touched. I don't recall seeing those, I dunno what to call them.. "Bumps" on the underside of any zoos.. I also witness individual movement of the tentacles, akin to anemones.. So I'm starting to agree that these are indeed some form of anemone.

I'd like to thank whatever createn scampered off to my store and bought the large colony I had planned to buy. :p So I now just ended up with 2 polyps of it that I get to buy for .50 :p Luckily this is the largest "polyp" of them all that had adhered to a neighboring rock.

Bad photo, the camera on my phone is beginning to die me thinks.
GiantZooCurled.jpg

GiantZoos.jpg

GiantZoos2.jpg

GiantsZoosClose.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a very cool morph of a protopalythoa of some kind, they usually arent that pretty.

cool whatever it is...id jump on it

they kinda look like my flower anemone - and considering the size, maybe - have you tried feeding them?

Do the flower anemones cluster kind of like zoos? They do behave kind of like an anemone. They very quickly fold up when fed, in doing so you can see the little "adhesive spots" that most anemones have. They eat pretty much anything. I give them mysis, brine, bloodworm, etc.

Okay - so I took a photo of my flower for reference - I'm thinking the bumps are similar, yet not as prominent.

Okay - so I took a photo of my flower for reference - I'm thinking the bumps are similar, yet not as prominent.

Thanks for taking the picture for me. :)

Right now, what I have doesn't look too much like that, although the tentacle shape is similar. Mine is only half dollar size. I suppose we shall wait and see if they get any bigger. But I think it is safe to say that these are some sort of little colonial anemone.

Back