10 Gallons Mirage Style

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MGDMIRAGE

Shoulda been a fish!
So it is time i delve into yet another nano. I have been tossing around the idea for a long time but could never really find the right setup. I wanted to do another 5.5 but I really wanted a little more room to work with. So when I saw a local petshop had the Marina tanks in stock I grabbed one. I then went overkill and drilled 1.5" bulkhead for the drain and a 3/4" bulkhead for the return. I plan on making this an SPS tank.

Equipment:
1.5" bulkhead for drain 3/4" return bulkhead
2 or 3 LED wholesaler's Par38 bulbs
Koralia Nano or 550
Hydor Seltz return pump
150w Tetra preset heater
10 gallon baffled sump
12+lbs of dryrock plus a few lbs in sump

Here are some pics of where I am right now. The scape is a quick mockup and will probably change a bit.

IMG_82251280x1067.jpg

IMG_82221280x981.jpg

IMG_82241280x1280.jpg

Sweet looking rockscape. I know it's just a mock up but very cool. I love them nanos, I'm tagging along on this build. What are the plans for stocking the tank?

Cheers,
Alex

That is going to be such a cool little tank. Cant wait to see your progress.
I'm tagging alot too!

Thanks everyone. Not sure what sort of skimmer I'm going to get for this, but i plan on this being a little SPS tank with perhaps a ricordea garden at the bottom tracing the rocks, and perhaps a crocea clam. I've been toying with the scape some more and it looks a bit better now, i wanted a more pyramid shape to it.

Oh, i was going to try a dry setup this time, i really hate algae :D

Soon, the tank and stand aren't in their permanent spot yet and i have to get to rinsing the sand.

Never tried black sand, what do y'all think?

I was going to use a couple grade sizes up from sugar sized white. Or maybe the mixed black/white sand? I hate sugar sand it blows around still after over a year in my 40 breeder and drives me nuts.

I am loving the lighting, but can we get some more info on the lighting? what is it? are you going to upgrade?
what do you plan on doing besides sps? are you going to be adding any fish? any inverts?
so many questions :party:
- Davin

The lighting currently are 2 Par38 12 watt bulbs. You can find them on ebay for $65 through LEDwholesalers. They come with a remote control that allows you to fully dim each color separately. You can even turn one color or the other all the way off so you can have your actinic phases.

I may upgrade the lighting depending on how the SPS respond.

I'm planning on having LPS such as acans, favias on the bottom along with some ricordias. I have some Zoos that are just sitting in the sump of my other tank i may bring over too, not sure.

I'd like to get a couple cool inverts, haven't decided which yet though.

Fish I would like two small species, one to hop around the rocks and the other to hover. I was thinking a goby for the hopping and perhaps a single cardinal for the hovering. I would really love to get a firefish but we all know their reputation for staying inside rimless tanks :(

I'm also thinking about making a mini reactor and running bio-pellets in this thing if i can figure out a good skimmer to get.

well you could always design a mesh top like russter has on his 20 gallon. You should get in contact with skimmy and talk to him about what skimmer would be perfect for your tank. hoping to see more of the tank and more updates!
- Davin

Back