10000k HQI's still yellow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MadReef

Hello!

This is my first post here so please excuse me if I'm asking a common question.

I've had a Hamilton Deluxe Protostar HQI system (2-250-watt 10K & 2 96-watt CF) for 2 weeks now and the light from the HQI bulbs still look very yellow. I read that this would go away after 2 weeks or 100 hours, but have not seen any change yet. Are these just crappy bulbs or do they need much more time.

If I need to get different bulbs, does anyone have any recommendations? I do like the blue color, but don't know if I should go as hight as 20000k.

Thanks for the help!

Madreef

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I'm not familiar with that set-up, but I would think they would be burned in by now. How many hours do you have them on? I know people have had issues with 250 watt 10K XM bulbs looking yellow. Hopefully, someone that knows about this lighting can add their thoughts...

I have had the same problems from Ushio 400W 10k bulbs so switch to coralvue 14k bulb running PC blue atinic which was much better crisp white.

On my new tank I use 20k XM and with no other bulbs and it awesome color my colors are just coming alive. I don't think the 10k bulbs are what they suppose to be. I don't think it is the brand.

Any one else with 10k turn off you supplements and see what they look like.

Would love to here more about this

Thanks Dave

Thanks for the replys!

I run mine about 8 hours a day. I have nothing in the tank that needs the light, I just want to break them in... of course that does not seem to be working very well.

Call me crazy, but I just don't like my tank to look like its fill with urine. Ok, the 96watt atinics do help somewhat, but most of my liverock and my sand still looks yellow.

I have a feeling that I may have to flip for some new bulbs then.

I wonder how accurate this site is:

http://metricksystem.com/chris/250wcolour/

Unfortunately I don't see my bulb listed.

Thanks!

My friend here in town is running Hamilton 14k and they appear like you would think the 10k should. I can not speak for all bulbs, but the Ushio, Hamilton, and XM all appear in person to me yellow looking. Pictures tend to show the bulbs more blue on my tank than they appear in person.

Thanks Dave

I use Ushio 10Ks 250 watt (single ended) on my tank with supplemental actinics - even without the actinics on, they don't appear that yellow to me. When they first turn on they do look yellow, but not for very long...a minute or so, if that. MtnDewMan uses the Hamilton 14Ks and is very happy with the appearance. I may give them a shot when it comes time to change the bulbs on my tank.

What is the bulb that came with your unit, madreef?

I think Ushio must have put out a bad batch of lights because me and one of my friends have both had two bulbs burn out within 2 months of running and he was running 250w and I was running 400w both of our tanks when we had them in appear yellow without the actinics on.

I now run 400w XM 20k and have had no problems out of them and the same with my bud he is running the 250w XM 20k with no problems. I use the pulse start ballast and he uses the HQI both are running fine. :)

Thanks

Back