120g sps/lps build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Darthv247

Well I've finally decided on a tank and what size etc. to go with. Of course like us all I started out wanting something way to big and expensive to fit my budget and apartment then settled on some middle ground with the girlfriend.

I decided to purchase an AG 120 gallon with overflows 48x24x24

I ordered the Modern series all black stand today and should have both the tank and the stand in around 2 weeks.

Ive been piecing it together over the past few months and so far I have the sump,pump,skimmer,dj strip and a few other misc parts for the system.

for the sump im using a Trigger Systems Ruby Sump 36x15x16

For the skimmer I got a SWC mini cone (this thing is way bigger than it looks online. awsome skimmer)

For the return pump I have a mag 1200 and plan on getting a mag 7 or so to plug in to a biocube that ill be using as a macro algea tank as well as run a reactor and chiller if needed. pumps size will depend on which end up needing.

For flow so far I only have an vortech mp10 but plan on adding 1-2 mp40s (most likely 2 with battery backup) but i was also thinking of getting some tunze hooked up to some wavyseas but we will see.

For lighting I was thinking of going with 48" Current USA Outer Orbit 2x250W 10,000K HQI-MH w/ 4x54W T5 HO & 18 Lunar Lights.

I already recieved 50 lbs of marco rocks. I asked for large pieces with a shelf piece and got exactly that. 2 large pieces with tons of holes a few football sized pieces and a large flat shelfing piece that has tone of holes for coral frags and the like. (great stuff)

I already have about 35 lbs of marshall island in the biocube that will be going in and im hoping to score another 70 lbs of tongan kaelini live rock as well if not i will just add some carribean rock from a local vendor.

well im getting much closer to starting the build so I thought I'd make a thread :) wil get pics when I start the build. i also need to find a good place to host pics to link. (besides photobucket)

Last edited:
MINI?

well, i got my stand ,sump and skimmer in place. I dont know what they were thinking calling this thing MINI lol. it is anything but mini. Tank will be here in a few weeks. I have a vertex reactor and some gfo coming as well.

Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture022.jpg

finnaly picked up the tank. I cant decide what lighting to go with. I would like to go with 2 250w mh's with t5 actinics and some lunear lights. i was thinking of a current fixture but it seems they have discontinued the majority of their fixtures. from the sounds of it they were pretty bad and the majority of them go bad anyways. the LFS says they stopped carying them a long time ago because 85% of them came back not working.

i was thinking of a fixture because i dont have a hood but i guess i could get one. Any ideas or help would be great.

atm this is my choice but im not sure i like it and im not sure of the warranty length etc.

http://www.aquacave.com/belize-sun-...ng-system-br-by-hamilton-technology-2555.html

I am pretty sure i will have to run a chiller with this fixture so an hints as to which one to get would be great. i was thinking of a jbj 1/5

Last edited:
going to go with about 1.5"-2" sand. special grade reef sand. still gotta figure out which fixture to buy though.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put too much weight on weather or not the fixture has built in moonlights. They are easy and cheap to add on later. I'd lean more toward trying to figure out which one of those two has got the better reflectors; don't have any experience with either of those myself, but I do know that poor reflectors (IME too directional) can ruin the look of an otherwise great setup.
What do you think of that sump? Trigger Systems seems to make real top notch stuff.

yeah the sump is killer and they are cheap at premium aquatics. perfect fit for the tank and skimmer. yeah ill have to look more carefully at the lights.

think im going to go with the Maristar fixture. the reflectors look nice and it has a 2 year warranty and the galaxy dual 250w balast has a 5 year warranty. anyone have anything to say about these balasts or think i should get another ?>

i will get some pics up soon as i can. I went with the maristar fixture from sunlight supply with galaxy balasts. so far i love them but havent really got anything under them besides Live rock atm.

I added about 60 lbs of Marshall island on top of the 50 lbs of marco rocks and will be adding 30 lbs more marshall island when the tank is through cycling. Also put in the order for my cleaner crew and a few green chromis.

Added on Vortech MP40 and its making good currents but i will most likely add another soon as i can.

System is still pretty bare bones no controllers or ATOs not even a calcium reactor atm.

overhaul in proccess

hello all again. well long story short i did end up setting this tank up in 2009 but soon as i finished adding the LR, few corals and fish i had a serious shortfall of time and $ to keep up with it and it pretty much ran on nothing but top off water until a few months ago lol. needless to say it didnt do well and had a huge algae problem. fish have survived and a xenia colony i only am saving a small frag though.

The last few months i have been working on the overhaul of this tank, so far i have:

pretty much changed all of the water over a few weeks time getting the levels in range etc.

removed all the LR only saving what rock i absolutely knew i could salvage.

replaced all the bulbs.

added a bio pellet reactor, auto topoff system run through a kalk reactor on a timer that goes off once every couple hours for 1 minute 8 times a day for now.

Hooked up a jbj 1/5 hp chiller along with a 40w uv sterelizer. also added a magnavore reactor for carbon but im not impressed with it and will be adding another phosban reactor 550 instead later on.

added 80lbs of madano LR and a cleanup crew. loving the little lawnmower blenny added as well.

Updated the drivers on my mp40s to the new wireless versions. (loving the nutrient transport mode.) Also going to update the driver on my mp10 to install on the back glass in the middle to slave along with the mp40's

Attachments

• tank pics1 002.jpg
    tank pics1 002.jpg
    56.7 KB
  • tank pics1 003.jpg
    tank pics1 003.jpg
    100.3 KB
Also, im a real noob at fragging corals specifically how to deal with acquired frags and attaching them to the LR structure. if anyone could point me in the direction of a few good articles etc would be much appreciated.

Ordered some new fish and a few cleaner shrimp to be coming in a few weeks or so.

2 sailfin tangs
1 pac blue tang
1 yel tang
1 flame angel
1 anthia
2 cleaner shrimp
will get pics when they are acclimated :)

i already have a royal gramma, ocelaris clown and a lawnmower blenny.

Back