140 gallon Coldwater build.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lol I was just reading what I wrote earlier. I meant acrylic not latex. Lol I was wondering why Dave was adamant about latex. I should proof read.

LOL I also do the same thing. I once posted in the "NEW HERE" ( Welcome to RC) oopppps

I don't mind at all Jozee. I welcome more people to help problem solve some of the challenges. And the more people who get interested the more that becomes available. And it just gets better from there :)

I just dissolved the rock salt and admittedly I am not as impressed as I was hoping to be. The texture on one piece wasn't great. Not enough rock salt early on I think. The other piece was better and will look good painted. Tonight I will be removing the styrofoam backing. It's way too bulky and boyant. With a little trimming it ought fit. One piece under the tray and the other piece along the back cornerso I can have a semi peninsula look. More on that later:)

I'm following along here. Can't wait to see it evolve. For what it's worth (that's FWIW for you text-typers :) ) my experiments with foam rockwork like this were hit and miss. I incorporated DIY rock into the foam to add a little extra weight and texture and sprayed the foam all over an egg-crate framework to hold it together. I silicone'd it down to the tank and it still quickly let loose and floated to the top of the tank. I know a lot of people have been able to make it happen in their tanks. Do you all just use large amounts of rock that was held together with the foam, or was I just using the wrong silicone to attach it?

I was thinking construction adhesive. :) I know Peppie's fingernails are curling at the thought.

The best way to keep a foam/egg cr/rock wall IME is to put some small tabs on the side of the tank and zip tie it to the tabs. That way you can remove it at a later date.
I also tied to make it so the top of the egg cr. fit snug under the top trim. Never made one out of strictly foam.
Make sure your paint is reef safe.

And Most of All Const Adhesive is very very sticky. Let me know how that works out in a couple of months. LOL

Hello,

I will be putting egg crate on these pvc panels then foam and rock. Becketts Black pond foam is one of the best to use. I am holding down with legs w/45's egg crate on top then screen, sand and rock.

IMG_0277.jpg

I made mine over size so I have to squeeze them into the space and as long as I don't trim to much it should work. I also thought of zip ties. I used to do low voltage instillation and zip ties are a go to. Ill let you all know how it goes without the foam backing. I just think it adds to much of what I don't want. And if it doesn't work well back to the drawing board:)

Well I'm not doing this thread to show how smart I am that's for sure. It's so other people see that it is a great offshoot of reefing. And to increase interest. Now that there is a legally viable way to get livestock it's as easy as live aquaria. Only this livestock stands up to shipping way better. All you need is a chiller and a thick acrylic tank. The rest most of us reefers have laying around as extras. I know I did :) So I'm glad your getting the itch.

im sry lol, i type how i think. short and to the point.

You're giving me a headache with your typing of the text speak........I have to decipher what your saying and translate it to English....

Well I'm not doing this thread to show how smart I am that's for sure. It's so other people see that it is a great offshoot of reefing. And to increase interest. Now that there is a legally viable way to get livestock it's as easy as live aquaria. Only this livestock stands up to shipping way better. All you need is a chiller and a thick acrylic tank. The rest most of us reefers have laying around as extras. I know I did :) So I'm glad your getting the itch.

Where is there a legal viable way to obtain coldwater livestock?

Where is there a legal viable way to obtain coldwater livestock?
Coldwater marine Aquatics out of Oregon. They are licensed to collect and sell stuff off the Oregon coast and contract with other dealers around the world to bring in Coldwater critters. They are also great to pick their brains because they actually are hobbyists also.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd never heard of them before and could definately see the appeal of a cold water tank.

Nick

If the tank is dry you can use the pond foam to adhere the premade pieces onto it. Best bond you will get. I did mine directly onto the tank and have had nothing come loose. I did monster cliffs and ledges in mine. Hit me up if you need anything :)

Anyone interested in seeing what livestock you can get in a Coldwater tank should check out www.ColdwaterMarineAquatics.com

Last edited:
That makes sense to me. I ripped the styrofoam backing off the foam and I'm ready to fix them to the glass. Does anyone know how to remove streaks on the glass. It looks like hardwater stains. I've tried using reef safe cleaner but it hasn't worked yet. A little improvement but not what I want. And if anyone has ideas on the air hoses coming up the pipes to the tray I'm open. I don't see how it works.

Last edited:
Ok I have the "rock" wall in place and here are the pics. The second one shows how whe wall is set in the corner, beneath the basket and behind the tubes. The first shows how it only covers half of the back wall for now.
Mobile Uploads pictures by Nemcrazy - Photobucket

Looks like the whole album loaded. There are four pics of tanks at the Seattle aquarium showing what I want to do. Who said Coldwater tanks were dull:)

Last edited:
Back