140 gallon Coldwater build.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks for the kind words:) as far as painting the covers goes, I ended up ditching them. I use two sheets of corrugated plastic sheets. I cut it to fit tight so it allows me to roll the front up while letting me keep the light sitting on top. One day I'll replace it with an acrylic sheet. I love how the airpump keeps things rolling. The advantage is, if you have a pump go out in the sump you don't have to tear apart your tank to fix it. And if you lose circulation from top to bottom the water goes stagnant and the cold stratifies. Leaving display water in the mid 60's low seventies. Which is messy and kills some live stock. My chiller has run without a problem. It just keeps going despite high summer temps and a hot house this last summer. The marineland systems were designed to handle a huge load and I had to learn to trust the engineering because I was still thinking like a reefer. Lol. The one thing I did was put 5 gallons of Bioballs in the mid chamber.

You dont think the bio balls will create a problem? Or are nitrates not as big a issue with cold water?

Nitrates are not near the problem they are in reef tanks. My tank runs very high at times but you can't tell by looking at the critters. I just started to run a nitrate filter in a powerhead filter. I haven't had a chance to see what the nitrates are at yet. I wanted to give it a week to let it work it's magic lol. I'm going to update with pics soon as I have added several rockfish. Two copper and three black rockfish. Also on my trip to Newport Oregon I picked up several green surf anemones and some social and stalked tunicates, sponges, and I picked up a silver spot sculpin from a fellow Coldwater reefer who lives down there. here is the silver spot lounging:)
IMG_1397_zpsdd1b3598.jpg~320x480

And the copper rockfish aclimating:)
IMG_0597_zpse3627cd9.jpg~320x480

And a FTS
IMG_4137_zps0a2a49c6.jpg~320x480

Last edited:
Great looking SW tank. Thank you for posting pictures and keeping us up to date.

Well I fixed the link finally:frusty: this tank is 18 months old and still going strong. Just a few things to talk about. I have only done two water changes in the last six months. And I'm about to do one this weekend. So I'm learning that really mature coldwater has some kind of biological filtration as long as everything stays consistent. I believe my foam walls with all of there porosity probably help in this regard.

Coldwater Rockfish reef: http://youtu.be/xQQYU1Vb7Fc

These guys love to eat!! As shown by their fat bellies and girthy sides. They even eat out of my hand:)

Nice! Looks great man. Sure wish some lfs had coldwater...

How many fish have u lost to all ur nems? Getting my 1st big batch of em this next week :)
Lil worried about my lords and files
D

Thanks man i've only really lost pipe fish and tube snouts. Even my Catalina are fine. Lords are armored tanks!!! Especially Mr pink:) I wouldn't worry about pricklebacks, gunnels, sculpins, or anything intertidal. But I'm not sure about filefish. I imagine they will be fine. My nems eat all kinds of inverts though. It seems as though no meal is too big!!

Coldwater tanks are super simple. Coldwater Marine Aquatics are the only supplier of coldwater livestock. They are the best guys to work with and are truly the best people to talk to about how to enter the hobby. First of all these tanks don't need lots of light. I only use enough light so that the tank looks nice. There are very few corals also. But there is a huge assortment of coldwater anemones that are a snap to take care of. The most important issue to tackle is temp. You must have an acrylic tank at least 3/8" thick. But 1/2"-1" or thicker is better. Lobster tanks are a great way for beginners to go. They are aio coldwater systems. But check out the coldwater reefers club page and look over the new coldwater forum. Simply put care instructions are as follows: keep 55-58, water change as needed, feed daily, and dose beneficial bacteria daily for the first few months.

I just came back from a five day collection trip on the Oregon coast and wanted to show some pics of the new layout. There is a lot more green :) I've been wanting to cover the back wall with nems for awhile. I'm getting close:)

Back