Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tureefik87

Hi my name is Galvin I’ve been on and off Reefing for the past 5 years. This is
the start to my build for a 150 gal SPS Starfire tank. I picked up this tank
from a fellow Reefer, below is a photo of the tank/stand/hood when I purchased
it (doors were removed).

attachment.php

Here’s a list of equipment that I currently have

1. 6 Stage RODI BRS unit – x2 55 gal barrels (fresh/salt mixed)
  2. 72”L x 24”W x 16”H will be plumbed from my DT into my garage (being built by Dave Peppel)
  3. Reeflo Dart return pump
  4. x2 IT2060’s fully programmable LED’s
  5. ATI Bubble Master 250 w/ x2 PSK2500 pumps
  6. APEX controller with lab pH probe from BRS
  7. 140ish pounds of rock – BRS reef saver rock with a mixture of pukani
  8. One Jebao RW-15
  9. Jebao doser
  10. Refractometer
  11. Red Sea Coral Pro Salt x2 175 gal

Equipment that I need/want to purchase

1. x2 MP40’s QD
  2. I/O Breakout Box for the APEX for my ATO with float switches
  3. GFO and Calcium reactor
  4. Upgrades to the APEX controller

attachment.php

DT Overview:
I have a total of x4 1” overflows. Here’s the breakdown of my overflow system I have planned,

1. Two of the four will be fully submersed about 3” from the rim of the tank (full flow)
    1. If the power were to go out and the water from the <acronym title="Display Tank">DT</acronym> were to overflow into the sump it will not over flow
  2. One overflow about 2.5” from the rim of the tank having a slow trickle into the sump
  3. The last overflow being 1” from the rim completely elevated over the surface of the water to act as an emergency if the <acronym title="Display Tank">DT</acronym> does decide to overflow

attachment.php

Sump Overview:

1st chamber will overflow into a 7" sock and the water will be skimmed followed by a baffle (12"H), rubble rock will be placed in this section as well. The baffle will be painted black (skimmer side) to deflect light from the second chamber to decrease algae growth. It will then overflow into my <acronym title="Fragment (a small part of a coral colony removed in order to grow another colony)">Frag</acronym>/Rubble rock section.

On the first baffle a bracket will be placed to hold my Apex probes, pH, temp and later <acronym title="Oxygen Redox Potential">ORP</acronym> and salinity (height will be adjustable). As outlined in the photo I will have two heights of <acronym title="Fragment (a small part of a coral colony removed in order to grow another colony)">frag</acronym> racks for various types of corals that require higher spectrums of light (light brand <acronym title="To be discussed">TBD</acronym>). Rubble rock will be placed underneath the <acronym title="Fragment (a small part of a coral colony removed in order to grow another colony)">frag</acronym> racks.

This will be followed by a second baffle that will be 2” from the top/bottom of the sump. The reason for the baffle not being at the rim of the sump is to ****** the baffle in case of an overflow. With the baffle being 2” from the bottom of the sump this will allow the chaeto to tumble with rubble rock at the bottom as well. A strainer will be on the inside of the sump to act as a filter to prevent any large pieces of debris from entering the return pump and possibly clogging the return lines.
Almost forgot to mention that the water height will be 11” in depth. Here are the volume breakdowns for the two sections in my tank and sump,

Sump Volume

1. Chamber one – 18 gallons
  2. Chamber two – 55 gallons
  3. Total – 73-75 gallons
Return Overview:
The return will be teed off going to the <acronym title="Display Tank">DT</acronym>

• <acronym title="Display Tank">DT</acronym> (4 lines for returns 1”) blowing down the back side of my tank to disrupt any dead matter from being pushed towards the front
  • Water changes
Alternative Design (4 way from the return pump)

• <acronym title="Display Tank">DT</acronym> (4 lines for returns 1”) blowing down the back side of my tank to disrupt any dead matter from being pushed towards the front
  • Water change 1”
  • X2 1” pipes for reactors (<acronym title="Granular Ferric Oxide">GFO</acronym> and calcium) with gate valves and another going back into the <acronym title="Fragment (a small part of a coral colony removed in order to grow another colony)">frag</acronym> area. By doing this this it acts as a small closed loop system back into the sump
I have a Reeflo Dart 3600 so it will be able to handle the water flow, worst case scenario I run a separate pump for my calcium and <acronym title="Granular Ferric Oxide">GFO</acronym> reactors. I anticipate the actual water flow to be around 2400-2600 <acronym title="Gallons Per Hour">gph</acronym> an hour with piping and loss of head pressure taken into account.

By all means this has been the very first build of my planning things out such as plumbing, if you notice a huge discrepancy in the outline please provide feedback. I look forward to hearing from my fellow reefers!

-galvin

Attachments

• Fish tank.jpg
    Fish tank.jpg
    83.2 KB
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    84.7 KB
  • Aquascape.jpg
    Aquascape.jpg
    76.1 KB
Kool tank. Lots of work to do!
seems like uve thought about this a bit. Gonna have to read this over and process it lol.
WELCOME
D

Kool tank. Lots of work to do!
seems like uve thought about this a bit. Gonna have to read this over and process it lol.
WELCOME
D

(read this over) and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over................................

This is going to be awesome.
I have one suggestion.
In your refugium section in your sump, I would put another baffle/baffles to stop any macro from plugging up the strainer to the return pump.
Or have you figured a way to avoid it?

This is going to be awesome.
I have one suggestion.
In your refugium section in your sump, I would put another baffle/baffles to stop any macro from plugging up the strainer to the return pump.
Or have you figured a way to avoid it?

Great question. Since my sump is 24" in width I wanted to have my macros on one side and somewhat cause a barrier with rubble rock. Another avenue I can possibly put another smaller baffle to create a area for my macro, great suggestion!

Great question. Since my sump is 24" in width I wanted to have my macros on one side and somewhat cause a barrier with rubble rock. Another avenue I can possibly put another smaller baffle to create a area for my macro, great suggestion!

I have found that the macro will grow and die in spurts and parts break off and float the way the current is flowing. Which is right at the return pump.
What I have done with all of my current sumps is to make a short baffle, about 3" to 4" and 2" away make another tall baffle that is taller than the water level in the sump. Then I put a sponge in the spot between the two baffles so nothing but water passes through.
About once a month I pull the sponge out and clean it.

I have found that the macro will grow and die in spurts and parts break off and float the way the current is flowing. Which is right at the return pump.
What I have done with all of my current sumps is to make a short baffle, about 3" to 4" and 2" away make another tall baffle that is taller than the water level in the sump. Then I put a sponge in the spot between the two baffles so nothing but water passes through.
About once a month I pull the sponge out and clean it.

My sump is being built right now by Dave, I might have to adopt that idea mfinn.

sump is almost done. One side of the baffles to weld and some edges to polish.
We will figure out a way to keep the algae out of the strainer. No big deal.
Sorry my Photobucket is not working. Cant post pics.

W00pwoop. It's like xmas is feb.
One step closer to getting stocked up on goodies. Lol
(My fav part)
-d

sump is almost done. One side of the baffles to weld and some edges to polish.
We will figure out a way to keep the algae out of the strainer. No big deal.
Sorry my Photobucket is not working. Cant post pics.

Good to hear Dave, please give me a call today and we can talk about the design. I'm available pretty much all day so when you're ready I'll be waiting for your call.

W00pwoop. It's like xmas is feb.
One step closer to getting stocked up on goodies. Lol
(My fav part)
-d

This is where I need to continue to stay patient.... It's very hard not to rush this build... :boxing:
1guydude, it does feel like Christmas Hahahahaha

Back