1st my zoos,now my torch!!! PLEASE HELP

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

briang

Last month I lost my eagle eyes, now my torch has it. I was thinking either dinos or brown jelly. What disease appears as if you had injected a brown liquid into the soft tentacles of the torch. And if water pressure is applied, the tentacles just disintagrate and blow off. Also just as with the zoos, if you squeeze it, the brown squirts out.I can't post small pics. So I'm going to post pics in my next 2 replies.

Newnewpics-11.jpg

torch

Is it a soft or stony coral I'm not real familiar with the torch type and can't find much of any info in my reef book.................................I'm not to sure I will look into this..........

Is it a soft or stony coral I'm not real familiar with the torch type and can't find much of any info in my reef book.................................I'm not to sure I will look into this..........

Thankyou so much for your time and concern. I really appreciate it. Even if you can't find anything, Thanks for trying. Sincerely Brian

never experienced brown jelly personally, but from the description, it sure sounds like it what I heard from Mitch Carl's presentation a couple weeks ago. They say you should siphon it all out and then bag in tank to avoid it from spreading around the rest of the tank..

But... from the pics it doesn't look like the brown jelly that I've seen in pictures -- more of a bacterial type infection.. I'm no expert, but if it were me, I'd cut off the bad parts, then swab the any bad parts with iodine and place them in a seperate location.

Freshwater dip may help too..

before you act, read about it though.. and get other opinions. never done it personally..

Good luck:)

This is tough, I don't see any exterior brown stuff to remove. As with the zoos, it is internal. On my zoos I squeezed the main runner and the brown just squirted out.

Last edited:
This is tough, I don't see any exterior brown stuff to remove. As with the zoos, it is internal. On my zoos I squeezed the main runner and the brown just squirted out.

Corals tend to have brown poop. If you squeeze a zoa your essentially squeezing its guts out. I dont see anything in your pic other than a ticked off torch coral. Sorry, sometimes a picture doesnt speak a thousand words. Try moving it to an area with different flow or lighting.

snails

Brian,
There is a snail that eats you zoos from the inside I have a pair of them and are in my pics. You might have one, they burrow into your zoo and eat them from the inside. Will keep searching........

My torch did that same thing for about the first month when I had it until I got it a spot that it liked. It still does it sometimes if it gets a big flow rush or really anything to make it mad. I also have brown stuff that comes out of all my lps on a daily basis...it's poop. Brown jelly is a lot more would you say jelly like instead of stringy. Google it and there are quite a few photos of it. Good luck

I gave them a lugol's dip last night and they are looking like new today. I don't know, maybe they were just expelling waste but in the almost 4 years that I've had them, they have never looked so bad. Maybe next time I'll give them a laxative:lol:

Back