1st time building my own lights...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tankgirl

This is the first time I've put together diy lights for a new 120, so I'd like to check my plan out with someone with more experience at this.

The tank is 4'x2'x2' but it usable space looks to me like less - so a 48" VHO bulb isn't gonna fit, I figure.

I've got 2 400W MH fixtures and Sunlight Systems Reef Optix II reflectors for them. Figure I can fit two 36" VHO in. My diagram below is to scale, based on what seems like usable space above the tank (a couple inches smaller that the actual tank), plus a pic of the tank without the canopy on it.

Also, the tank has two of those thick glass braces across the top - and of course they're right where the best position for the halides to go. Are they gonna cut down on the light intensity, a bunch?

Also, this is the first time I've had separate reflectors for the MHs - my other tanks used one big reflector and all the bulbs (MH & VHO) were mounted on the one reflector. Since the MH reflectors arc out, I have to space the VHOs a bit farther away from the MHs.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions for me? Mike, am I doing this right?

they make 46.5" vho's for 48" tanks. I would just use the 2-400watts and save the money on the vho's.

Me too, I have two 14000K hamilton 250watts and they make my tank glow. Perfect blend of white and blue to my eyes.

I can see the value of running VHO's in addition though...not so much for supplementation as for a dawn/dusk effect though.

TG,
I would suggest going with the 46.5's that BradReef mentioned for your VHO's. The centerbrace will cut down on your light intensity, but it wont really be visible to anyone unless they're looking for it.

Nick

Just out of curiousity, who made you a glass 120 with a center mounted Overflow?

Nick

TG - I did 46.5" VHOs on my 120. I use them for supplementation (I run 250 Watt Ushio 10Ks), and the dawn dusk effect.

Thanks, Brad, Wright, Nick & Nikki!! Much appreciate the advice!!

Me, too - love the dawn/dusk effect! And some of the zoanthids change color under VHO actinics, which I'd miss.

Nick, I had the tank made thru an LFS called Aquarium Center, here in Sherman Oaks (So.Ca.).

I was worried that the 46.5" VHOs would be too long, too, once the endcaps were added. Is that 46.5" length the length of the bulbs alone - or does it include endcaps? Thanks!!

TG - I just went down and measured mine...including the endcaps it is 46.5" long.

Cool! Thanks, Nikki!!! Then that will work for me. You have the waterproof endcaps, right?

Excellent - Thanks, once again Nikki!

Hi Miniatus, Thanks, too! How're the otters?

Back