210 In Wall

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trido

Fish Tank Freak
AS some here know. Ive decided to go bigger. I recently traded my ASM G-3 for a used 150 gallon tank with two bulkheads drilled into it. It required a bit of work but here is my finished sump. I built a 14" tall rack for the skimmer to set on in the left chamber, the rack in the large return pump chamber will hold any extra LR and serve as a benthic area for sponges, feather duster and pods. Sometimes pictures dont speak a thousand words. This sump is six feet long. :)
IMG_3806.jpg

This is what the cut out will look like when I get a new tank this coming summer. Its dimensions will be six feet long by 24 inches deep and 30 inches tall. Dang (Tamarindthai) put the idea of a taller tank into my head and it stuck. For 15 years Ive been saying I would never go deeper than 24" but I like the look. I hope I dont have to dive too often.:lol:
IMG_3790-1.jpg

I have ALOT of work to do before I even consider buying a new tank. I am excited about this project beginning and wanted to share.

im excited to and would like to keep up with your progress especially the building of that sump it looks like you really know what you are doing!!!

id like to build a sump like yours it looks cool but your right that pic didnt make it look like it was at alll 6 feet long

Thats going to look killer!!!!! It puts my in wall 125 to shame. Im in the middle of selling my house and looking for a new one so im pretty much ttelling anyone that buys my house can keep my 125 but the contents wont stay! unless they add a extra 3 to 4 thou to the purchase of the house! So I guess what im getting at is transporting all the goodies in the tank w/minimal die off is going to suck! especialy if they dont want a 125 reef tank to baby sit! :eek::D thanks for the reply on my powerhead issue too.

You Are A Sick Man Just Like Me All The Time Travel Moving Still Not Enuff L.o.l. Must Go Bigger .....i Like It ! Well I Must Admit If 2morrow I Came Accross A 355 I Would Get It !!!

hows your tank coming along trillyen$

its coming along ok thanks for asking sorry to hear you will be selling yours, but i bet you little loose will have a bigger gain at the end of the tunnel im sure your planning on surprising us with a bigger than life tank like trido is aint cha:?::eek::eek:

Sump...

You moved fast on getting that thing finished this weekend...looks great in the picture (as well as in person) Thanks again for the skimmer mod and hope those frags work out for you
Jeff

wwouu dood just woou :eek:.
this is gonna be some awesome project :) .

By the way, i like your tank frame thingy that you got in the pic :D:p

Yo! trillyen. New to the salt water game. Just wanted to intro myself and say Hello!! to you and all the members in RF community.

hows your tank coming along trillyen$

Thrillyen said:
its coming along ok thanks for asking sorry to hear you will be selling yours, but i bet you little loose will have a bigger gain at the end of the tunnel im sure your planning on surprising us with a bigger than life tank like trido is aint cha

Hambone35 said:
Yo! trillyen. New to the salt water game. Just wanted to intro myself and say Hello!! to you and all the members in RF community.

C'mon guys!!! This is my tank build thread. Not a chat room. Post in Thrillyens' thread or PM each other if you want to chat about Sunday lunch.

so what's next on the list of things to do?
My least favorite part of any remodel I do. Concrete. :( I went out back the other day to get started and decided that a small 4'x8' shed is out of the question. I also found out that I have to build a small retaining wall due to the grade of the back yard. This job gets bigger and more complex the more I think about it. It will have to be a 6'x8' storage shed. My sump and two other tanks will require a 2'x6' footprint stacked so that eats up one wall. I then need room for a large RO bin and an even larger makeup water container. I will likely have to break down and buy something like the tall white containers Bricky has in his fancy system. That will leave very little room for salt buckets etc.
Here are a couple pics I took. The first shows how small my original footprint would have been. Now Ive decided to build it out as far as the 6"x6" post on the left. The second shows how creative Im going to have to be with my roof design. Im still scratching my head on this one. I refuse to tear down the upper deck to build it.
IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

Well, its been almost a month, lets see some progress, Duane
stickpoke.gif
biggthumpup.gif

I know, I know..... I poured the concrete slab a few weeks ago. It doesnt make for a very impressive pic for a progress report. Next have to build a cinder block retaining wall. Then I can work with wood that I enjoy.
Ive decided that a completion date of this fall will push my wifes patience too far. I am hoping to add the livestock back into a 210 next spring. We'll See....:doubt:

Another update. I've finished the concrete work. Now I can start actually building a wood shed. My wife is almost as excited as I am.
The retaining wall is made up of about 50, 4"x 8"x 16" cinderblocks filled solid with concrete.
Jan2008001.jpg

Jan2008003.jpg

Some one on another board asked why I didnt just build the wall out of wood rather than concrete. Ill answer before its asked here. A couple of reasons.

1) Just to the left, there is a pile of dirt that is six feet high and twenty feet long that needs to be terraced. I needed the wall to be three courses high to act as an actual retaining wall.
2) Since I was building the wall already, I figured Id just go all the way up behind the stairs so I wouldnt have to preside and prepaint a wood wall before I could stand it. I hate to do extra steps like that at work so concrete made sense. Maintanance free forever.

Im sure Ill regret it when I want to mount electrical, tank stands, etc. to it, and when all of the moisture in the room is condensing on it and forming puddles on the floor all winter.

Back