240 Donkey Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wow, that looks good. What color bulbs are you using? It looks like two different ones but I don't want to go back through this whole thread to see if you say.

Wow, that looks good. What color bulbs are you using? It looks like two different ones but I don't want to go back through this whole thread to see if you say.

You win the prize. From left->right: XM 10K 250W, Hamilton 14K 400W, XM 10K 250W, XM 20K 400W. Call it an experiment. I think it looks great in the middle but don't like the sides.

Also 4x110W VHO actinics.

You win the prize. From left->right: XM 10K 250W, Hamilton 14K 400W, XM 10K 250W, XM 20K 400W. Call it an experiment. I think it looks great in the middle but don't like the sides.

Also 4x110W VHO actinics.

I really like the looks of the 14k/10k mix in the middle, maybe the ends are a bit too extreme?

I really like the looks of the 14k/10k mix in the middle, maybe the ends are a bit too extreme?

Definitely so. But at this point I've spent so damn much money on bulbs I'm just going with it as is for now. I think next time around I will try 400W Reeflux 12K's across the whole tank. I saw some at Barrier Reef and they were nice, but were overdriven on HQI ballasts. The ones on normal PFO magnetics like I have were a little bluer than I want.

Yeah that's it. Haven't mounted yet; not sure where I'm going to put him. But I have noticed quite a bit of growth in just a month.

Wow Brian! Your tank is looking really nice!:eek: It's like it was just the otherday you were putting it altogether and now look at it! Really nice job man:)

Yep your tank sprouted up very nicely, great work, even with the rainbows lights:D
It is hard to find a lighting combination you really like, I'm still not sure what I want in mine & I bet I'll buy millions $$ worth of lamps also! I've heard nothing but good from the reflux 10K's, have you tried them?

Wow Brian! Your tank is looking really nice!:eek: It's like it was just the otherday you were putting it altogether and now look at it! Really nice job man:)

Yeah it was quite a journey. There are always frustrations and although I tried to keep things low maintenance it still seems I'm spending a good 30-60 minutes per day (at least) to keep equipment running, test water, keep things clean, QT tanks running, you know how it is... the list goes on and on. So far I'm able to keep up with it but I admit some days it can be overwhelming.

Yep your tank sprouted up very nicely, great work, even with the rainbows lights:D
It is hard to find a lighting combination you really like, I'm still not sure what I want in mine & I bet I'll buy millions $$ worth of lamps also! I've heard nothing but good from the reflux 10K's, have you tried them?

Haha, yeah the lights are really the one thing I couldn't plan for. You just never know how they're going to look until you've dropped a few hundred bucks. It doesn't help having four halides. I have not tried the Reeflux 10K's. I'm afraid they would be too white but you never know til you try.

Looks good man! All that is missing is a 8" trigger in the middle :p

Yeah I'm working on that bud! :lol:

Here are my oscellaris clowns, "Ilham" variety. They get really pissed off when the anemone retracts for the night, as you can see here. I swear they are going to wiggle that thing to death.

Fish405.jpg

Fish404.jpg

Here are some more pics.

My angel. He is the most beautiful fish in the tank but he may have to go. Although he isn't that bad picking on corals, he is somewhat aggressive and "disturbs the piece". Haven't decided yet if I'm going to keep him. You can see the remnants of the juvenile coloring on the rear bottom of the fish (there is probably a scientific name for this location but I call it "near his ass"). One interesting thing about this fish is that he "talks". When he gets mad he "thumps" at the other fish, or human, or whoever happened to startle him. I've heard of trigger fish doing that but never angels.
angel.jpg

Bali green slimer, doing quite nicely (thanks Ben):
Fish528.jpg

My newest addition after a two-month quarantine... also the angel's most favorite fish to bully at the moment. Hoping that will change as the pecking order is established.
Fish526.jpg

Fish501.jpg

This guy is really nutty:
Fish524.jpg

Another of the clowns, just because I like them...
Fish493.jpg

This is a bad picture of my little girl, but the best I can do. I put her in with a male psychedelic three times her size and SHE is the one who picks on HIM. Very funny to watch, he's always trying to impress her and she either swims away or bonks him on the head.
Fish482.jpg

Here are my oscellaris clowns, "Ilham" variety. They get really pissed off when the anemone retracts for the night, as you can see here. I swear they are going to wiggle that thing to death.

Nice photos Brian! And yup...I remember those clowns! Their sisters and brothers miss them.

Best,
Ilham

Back