28G BioCube in Silverdale, Wa

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Carnophage

I am active duty, stationed in Silverdale, Wa. I have a 28g BioCube with a DIY LED setup, skimmer and a couple K-Nanos. Currently have 4 Anemones, a clam, couple sps frags, and a huge frogspawn (which needs to go). Have 2 true percs. hosting, a decorated goby, and a neon Dottyback. I also have a bunch of zoas, but am currently have issues with them not opening. I have not changed the lighting or anything drastic recently. Thanks!

Hey, good to see you here.
welcome to Reef frontiers.

Having issues with zoas I see. Yeah, we all do sometimes. they can drive you crazy. how about the anemones. could they be irritating them? have they been open in that area for a long time and then just closed up? have you changes salt mix? maybe parameters are off a bit.
with more info and pics when you are able to post them, we could probably help more.

nothing changed that i am aware of, i checked all the prams that i could last night and everything was in spec for a reef tank. I have LED's that i did myself, could they have gone bad? They have been in for years now, maybe 5, could they lose their spectrum? my sps frags are bleaching too.
I need help!

I have the same issue. I have one piece that has been growing and doing great and over the last two days is RTNing. Its in the frag tank with all the other sps that is still growing and doing great.
It could be a bacteria in the water, could be swing in temp or in calc & alk levels.
I dont know enough about LEDs to know how many hours they should be good for, depending on the brand and wattage. But 5 years should not be the limit of their life expectancy.

Carnophage, I had the same problem. I started feeding Brightwells AminoOmega when I feed and my zoa's opened right up and have stayed open and that was over a year ago.

I don't know what the deal is with the sps, could be your lights if they are that old. The spectrum could be way off if they are that old. The use of the Brightwell's AminoOmega I was referring to earlier had more to do with the zoa's not opening.

Back