2Sunny's 240 Gallon Coral Garden.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Another question, would you turn off the flow at first so it could get a hold of the cube and was the cube thawed out? I use 1 cube in the morning and 1 cube at night to feed my tank, and I usually just give it a squeeze with the turkey baster as I'm feeding the fish. Do you think I should dedicate more food to the nem till it starts looking better? Like I said, it looks fine to me other than being bleached a little, don't mean to jack the thread or anything, but heres some pics of the morning after I put it in. I need to take some more since it's moved down a little.

I made a quick cage so the flow wouldn't blow it everywhere overnight, it wasn't even anywhere close the size of it, and when I woke up the next morning, it filled it up completely, first shots are with lights off, then with the lights on.

Twiggy,

Wow! That is a fantastic specimen, and it looks to be really healthy. If it can not hold onto a cube in high flow then it is NOT yet healthy, and I would agree turning off the flow to feed it would be a good idea. Are you running a thread on this guy? It certainly deserves one as I'm certain lots of folks would be interested in learning more. I have a dozen questions for you myself! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Joe

Twiggy,

Wow! That is a fantastic specimen, and it looks to be really healthy. If it can not hold onto a cube in high flow then it is NOT yet healthy, and I would agree turning off the flow to feed it would be a good idea. Are you running a thread on this guy? It certainly deserves one as I'm certain lots of folks would be interested in learning more. I have a dozen questions for you myself! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Joe

Just made a thread, here ya go!

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f224/my-magnifica-59835/#post609152

Sorry about the derail, now :focus:!

what kind of lighting is on this tank?

A little bit of everything and probably waaay too much :p

Seriously though I use Metal Halide Radium bulbs, T12 VHO Aquasun bulbs, and ReefBrite Blue LED actinic strips, but . . .

I am very actively researching ways to change my light. I like the shimmer and color of German 20000k metal halide bulbs so I think I will always use them, but I'm hoping I can switch to 250 watt or even 150 watt HQI bulbs in combination with T5 VHO and blue LEDs. The T5 VHOs are very new technology and as yet I haven't seen any mentioned on Aquariums. I'm not willing to go all LED because aesthetics, they look washed out to me when you have any whites turned on, and because LEDs are too specific in their spectral output to insure coverage for all types of color clades.

AcroporaEchinataa.jpg

BigK.jpg

Just had to share my excitement. Jason from Greenwich Aquaria was here today and noticed something shocking . . . a baby Cardinal fish hosting in my anemone! So far he hasn't been bothered or eaten by the clowns, but I guess we'll see . . . :dance:

BabyCardinal1.jpg

BabyCardinal2.jpg

BabyCardinal3.jpg

Wow. Your tank is FREAKIN awesome! Like it was already mentioned, it definitely relaxes you to see such a well established and colorful tank. Great job!

You have a very impressive setup that i think we can all aspire to hope one day have a tank like yours. Please keep posting the pictures. thanks Kevin

WOW Joe, absolutely gorgeous reef you have created there. All :hail: Joe. How long have most of the coral colonies been in this system ? Looking forward to more updates.

Cheers, Todd

Your tanks makes me drool!!! BEAUTIFUL Your clown is a lucky fish...bet he loves his anemone. Love the anthias. Are those other fish chromis? Great job on your tank.

WOW Joe, absolutely gorgeous reef you have created there. All :hail: Joe. How long have most of the coral colonies been in this system ? Looking forward to more updates.

Cheers, Todd

Aww Shucks :pray2: . . . really though, thanks for the kind words Everyone!

The age of the colonies is quite varied. My Oregon Tort I bought as a tiny frag in September of '03, but the Seriatopora is only about 18 months old. I tried to pick only slow growing corals 'cuz I hate having to cut out whole colonies which I have to do almost annually with the prostratas, milleporas, and montiporas. Next tank, I'm for sure gonna stick to slow growers.

Your tanks makes me drool!!! BEAUTIFUL Your clown is a lucky fish...bet he loves his anemone. Love the anthias. Are those other fish chromis? Great job on your tank.

Yep, I have 20+ Chromis. I started with only a school of Chromis, but then I saw a photo of chromis schooling with anthias in a book and decided to try it. So far so good. They do fight a lot (chromis-chromis and anthias-anthias only), but with a group this large they seem not to kill each other as the aggression becomes more spread out. When I had a group of only 7 chromis they killed each other within a year and a half or so.

The Coral Addict,

Joe

Bartlettd.jpg

Bartletta.jpg

Gobie.jpg

Here's an interesting series of photos showing a coral recovery story. I think this coral browned initially in response to the introduction of LEDs as an add on to my light system, but I'm glad to see that it is finally recovering. I think this shows how we should never give up on a coral even when it doesn't look so good!

November
ChristmasTreeA.jpg

January
Brown+Test.jpg

Today
ChristmasTreeRecovery.jpg

January

Today

Wow your set up is simply amazing and love all the colors of corals and fish and your lights make them pop. Looking forward to more photos. :)

Wow your set up is simply amazing and love all the colors of corals and fish and your lights make them pop. Looking forward to more photos. :)

Thanks!

Today's interesting photo is my new Sunlight Supply Solar Flare light fixture. It's only $215 and comes with a ballast that drives UVL T5 V-HO lamps to 85 watts with a PAR output equal to a 250 watt MH setup. Now that's a deal! Currently running 4 lamps at 85 watts and producing 450 PAR on my Apogee at 2 inches below the surface.

002.jpg

008.jpg

Back