30 Gallon Oceanic Cube Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

broskie

So I decided I didn't want to get completely out of the hobby. With the new business taking a lot of my time I wanted a slightly smaller less maintenance tank. So thanks to Rob at ARSA, I picked up a 30 gallon cube that will be perfect. I already have more then half the stuff I am going to use so I only needed the tank.
photo-43.jpg

I am going to be using the following for the tank and decided I would make my first build thread.

As for equipment:
30 Gallon Oceanic
10-15 Gallon sump
Current 250 MH with LED Actinic
EcoTech MP20
Octopus 100 Skimmer
Mag 9 return pump

So the first thing I did was black out the back. I have painted a lot of tanks but always hated the time it took, the prep, and that it's not easily removable. I hate the cut and tape backgrounds but they are easily removable. But after a little searching I saw vinyl stick on film at the craft store and thought what the hell. So for $8 I said lets give it a try.

While I was installing it I decided to do a DIY on how to do it.
Materials needed
1.Black Stick vinyl $7.99 can be found at most craft store's (comes 12"X24")
2.Windex
3.Paper Towels
4.Sharp razor
5.Credit card or similar
photo-44.jpg

photo-45.jpg

1.The first thing to do was use the razor to clean of any left over silicone or debris from the back of the tank. Then clean really well with the windex.

2.Get the film ready by removing it from the packaging and fold one side of it down to apply.
photo-46.jpg

3.Spray the tank with a generous amount of water and light detergent and start to apply the film. The film will move around easily so don't worry about it sticking immediately.
photo-47.jpg

4.Use the credit cards to smooth out all the bubbles and cut excess vinyl from the edges (be careful).
photo-48.jpg

5.The vinyl only comes in 12"X24" so you may depending on your tank need to use both pieces (I had to). For the next repeat the same steps overlapping the previous piece by about 1/2".
photo-49.jpg

photo-50.jpg

photo-53.jpg

6.Use the paper towels to dry up all the water pushed out by the credit card and go over lightly. The total process took me about 30-45 minutes conservatively. But I am really impressed on how it came out, that its easily removable, and only $8.

Finished product
photo-54.jpg

photo-55.jpg

All pics taken with iPhone 4

Last edited:
Looking good.
I've got a 30 gallon Oceanic also.
My biggest issue was the stand not being big enough to accomodate a 10 or 15 gallon tank.
I assume you are not using the Oceanic stand.
Good luck with the build.

No, I will not be using the oceanic stand. I will either build another one or shop local furniture stores for something capable of the job.

Is the Oceanic label supposed to be on the front or the back of the Tank?? Looks Good Bro..

It's on the front but I liked the seam job better on the other side. Here we go again haha

It's coming together great. I am just finishing up my rock wall and I am stoked on how it came out. I will post pics one I get it trimmed up and installed.

So yesterday I spent a little time making a DIY background and I am really happy with how it came out. I was able to make 3 nice 3-4" ledges for corals and added some sand to blend it with my substrate once added. I still have to make some small touch ups but you'll get the point. I left the one side open for my return after I get the tank drilled. It only takes up about 1" of room in the back and it looks much better then just a black back.
photo-56.jpg

photo-57.jpg

photo-58.jpg

Thanks, I'm now starting to glue up my acrylic sheet and rods to do a bonsai inspired rock theme.

So I drilled my tank. It was a little nerve wrecking being my first time but I just went slow and it worked out perfectly. The Oceanic glass is thick to so i think that made for it being a little easier. I'll get pics up tomorrow after my overflow box finishes drying in place.

So a little more work has taken place over the past day or two and I'm really happy with how it's all looking. So as always needed I took a few pics.
I got a little anxious and decided I really didn't want to pay $70 to drill my tank so I did it myself and added my Lowes $4 bulkheads. I also chopped an old overflow box I got with a sump and made in to a internal overflow.
photo-59.jpg

photo-60.jpg

photo-61.jpg

I then finished the back wall and put it all into place.
photo-62.jpg

Last but not least I made a lid to finish of the top.
photo-63.jpg

I now just have to finish staining the stand and we are set to get the plumbing going.

Last edited:
Nice stuff. I like your workbench too. I wish I could have a granite topped hardwood cabinet workbench :D:D

The girlfriend loves that I use our large granite island as my personal work bench. But hey it's 8' x 4', you can cut anything on it, and its easy to clean up.

So after a couple busy days. I went to the Dennys pet world sell and picked up a 20 gallon aquarium to build a sump with a refugium since I didn't have one before. I went and picked up some acrylic and made a nice new sump. I have spent the better of today swapping everything from my 57g to my new easier to maintain 30g and am finally about to finish. I will post more about how it will be easier tomorrow but here it sits as of right now.
photo-67.jpg

Back