300 gallon TRUVU CUSTOM

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Spinner

Reef
Hello,

My system is a 300 gallon 96" x 24" x 30" acrylic tank, 150 gallon Rubbermaid sump/refugium, 100 gallon remote DSB, (2) 8" x 24" reactors, (2) 8" x 36" reactors, (1) 4" x 24" Carbon reactor, PLUS:)
IMG_0200.jpg

I modified my tank by removing bio media in the built in 30 gallon sump. Next i installed two 1 1/2" overflows at sump to drain to my remote sump and skimmer. I prefilter at four overflow in the tank to 30 gallon tank sump then drain to system.
IMG_0187.jpg

I drilled tank for (12) 1" inlets with (8) on close loop and (4) for sump/refugium return. The close loop will run on (2) Water Blaster 16000s and sump/refugium return is a Reeflo Dart w/Balder motor.
IMG_0179.jpg

My sump/refugium will be the control area for all my reactors along with (2) corner frag racks.
IMG_0197.jpg

Picturesofreefsupports096.jpg

This is my reverse flow carbon pellet reactor 4" x 24" 1/2" inlet/outlet.
This is my fluidized recirculating sand filter 8" x 24" 3/4" inlet (2) 1/2" outlets with air injection.
IMG_0164.jpg

Picturesofreefsupports091.jpg

That DIY sump looks really wicked!!! Never seen a rubbermaid used to that extent! Are you concerned about micro bubbles transferring to the tank setup that way not having a bubble trap??

Looking forward to the build. Good luck! :)

Hi Krish,

The sump will have a volcano rock structure built around center overflow with tops of rock just breaking surface water. Water to pump will run through rock before getting to inlet. Also the sump has two sock holders at center of picture that will filter DT return.
IMG_0161.jpg

I want to get one of Bill's quality skimmers and that return can go to sock too if needed i think:)

The reactors returns are right at water surface and can change/direct flow if needed.
IMG_0199.jpg

Will always adjust things as needed this is reefN right:)

Sump water info.

Water area only 48" x 30" x 17" deep = 106 gallons of water.

The depth @ 17" should help with micro bubbles too per question above.

Where are you getting all the colors from on your pvc fittings ???
Nice start.

Colors you want colors, i will show you colors lol this was first thought i toned it down alittle:)
Picturesofreefsupports055.jpg

I use Krylon Fusion paint and have used it with many builds good stuff if you don't go Krazy lol!

okayyyy... this is good. keep going lol. Lots of equipment u got their too...is all that really needed or yes on a tank this size if u dont wanna do a lot of maintence or wat?

Hey 1gd,

No not needed just to play with and do a little research on some things. I am one of those reefers that like the behind the DT stuff and like easy access to things. I do want to have the best water quality i can since DT will be mixed reef with lots of sps.

Hi Krish,

The sump will have a volcano rock structure built around center overflow with tops of rock just breaking surface water. Water to pump will run through rock before getting to inlet. Also the sump has two sock holders at center of picture that will filter DT return.
IMG_0161.jpg

I want to get one of Bill's quality skimmers and that return can go to sock too if needed i think:)

The reactors returns are right at water surface and can change/direct flow if needed.
IMG_0199.jpg

Will always adjust things as needed this is reefN right:)

Good stuff man! Well, I will be tagging along! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of your reactors in the pics look as if they are DIY. Cant remember seeing any on the market with the top lid shaped as such. Do you have any pics on those builds?
I am a DIY freak. To me its all about the build and function of the components of the overall system.

Hi Peppie,

Yeah i am a DIY person too, 20+ years in the hobby i should be by now:)lol

My reactors are design/built by me except the 8" keyhole tops those are made for me by Avast Marine Works. I have several patents in our hobby from my early DIY days one of them being the "Refugium Filter" that i introduced to our hobby at MACNA X. Another one was the rotating spray bar used in the early days of wet/dry filters.

I will show many more DIYs as my build gets closer to start up, some i won't show untill i make a youtube video of my system.

Is there something special you wanted to see?

Hi Peppie,

Yeah i am a DIY person too, 20+ years in the hobby i should be by now:)lol

My reactors are design/built by me except the 8" keyhole tops those are made for me by Avast Marine Works. I have several patents in our hobby from my early DIY days one of them being the "Refugium Filter" that i introduced to our hobby at MACNA X. Another one was the rotating spray bar used in the early days of wet/dry filters.

I will show many more DIYs as my build gets closer to start up, some i won't show untill i make a youtube video of my system.

Is there something special you wanted to see?

Yea you bet...

Your work shop and your favorite tools!!!!

Hello Peppie,

I closed my shop 12 years ago after a long divorce and two years in court. I left the hobby back then and am just getting back in with this build so most of the DIYs i do now are built in the back yard/patio area. I still have lot's of tools but nothing like the old days:)

Here is another product i brought to our hobby back in the early 90's they work really well on acrylic tanks:)
algaescrapers.jpg

Thank You,

Yeah they have a thousand uses, i found them and tracked down the company, they were small back then so i bought the rights for 5 years. I sold them to aquarium wholesale houses along with many major public aquariums in the US. When i left the hobby i gave the rights to Clear For Life as they were my tank builder. I use to sell a line of complete reef systems from 240 gallon and up called The Sea Master. They started around $ 10,000.00 with no rock, sand, or corals and fish.
My real job is a custom home builder so my systems showed that kind of quality with solid woods, sealed melamine interiors, pull of filter areas while system is still running, built in electric no wires and bla bla......

All i want to do now is just build a killer system that i can learn and enjoy:) I will have a couple of things on this build that probley havn't been seen so thats why i want to first show on youtube. This way people can see it work my way first then they can tweek, mod. or better it:)

I also sold some of my products in FAMA magazine back in the late 90s my company name was Coral Technologies.

This is one of my early refugium designs from the early 90s: 15 gallon refugium, built in 900gph wave maker, high flow overflow, and adjustable sump water height. No bad for 20 years old design:)
Picturesofreefsupports068.jpg

I would be interested to know what you think of the "Modern Day skimmer" Large pumps sucking huge amounts of air along with large volumes of water?? Is it all hype??
Would you get better results from an air drive counter current skimmer?

BTW nice sump! Does the spray bar hook to the DT overflow?

Yes regarding the spray bar but i would pre filter first and use a macro algae in refugium.
I used mostly Euro Reef skimmers knew them when they built them in their garage. To be honest i have been away for awhile and do not know much about all the skimmer hype/numbers they use. I will say i am excited about Bill's 44" skimmer using air and don't know if you could want more than that?

There are a hand full of talented craftsman, serious DIYers here at RF.
We welcome new blood. It is always nice to see things done or created in a different way.
Dont be shy with your projects or your camera.

Back