400 gallons of saltwater running through my house.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Took out my Prizm Pro Skimmer this weekend and put in a Reef Octopus 6" Recirculating Skimmer (DDNW-150-6530B). I used the Prizm Pro for about 3.5 years (as long as the tank has been running) and it worked well but I wanted to try a recirculating skimmer. I like the thought of not having to use a big feed pump to get the skimmer to work efficiently. The Reef Octopus is already producing some "great stuff!" :)

Prizm Pro Skimmer by devonmorton, on Flickr
(I took the collection cup off the top of the Prizm)

Reef Octopus Skimmer DDNW-150-6530B by devonmorton, on Flickr
(Just breaking in. I can't believe how quite this thing is!)

Sump & Returns by devonmorton, on Flickr
(Taking the Prizm Pro out gave me some more room in my sump which allowed me to rearrange my filter pads.)

Hi Devon- looks like a great skimmer....so why did you choose this one? from among the many available manufacturers & all the models from Reef Octopus - recirculating skimmer means what? I don't think mine is...I have an ATI Bubblemaster 250; what's the diff between the Octopus, Super Octopus & Octopus Extreme models (besides more money)? Hope it helps you out & sucks tons of gunk out...maybe I need an upgrade!

LostCreekReefer said:
Hi Devon- looks like a great skimmer....so why did you choose this one? from among the many available manufacturers & all the models from Reef Octopus - recirculating skimmer means what? I don't think mine is...I have an ATI Bubblemaster 250; what's the diff between the Octopus, Super Octopus & Octopus Extreme models (besides more money)? Hope it helps you out & sucks tons of gunk out...maybe I need an upgrade!

Well I wanted an affordable well rated recirculating skimmer. Reef Octopus had a few that fit those criteria. I wanted a skimmer that was going to run at a 100% no matter what the flow. I also liked not having to run a large feed pump. Let's face it, anything is an upgrade over my Red Sea Prizm Pro!

Well I'm happy to report that I checked our Squamosa clams and there were no pyramid snails that I could find. The radiant wrasse is doing his job. :)

On a more somber note, one of our oldest tank mates died recently. The coral banded shrimp lived in our tank for around 5+ years! He was a good creature to have until he started picking on the zebra eel and eating the smaller gobies in the tank. So now that he's passed on I might have to try a couple gobies again... Woop woop!

Checked my RO water and it came in at 16 ppm TDS. So, changed my RO filters tonight and cleaned out the RO holding tank. I was surprised at how dirty the bottom of the tank was.

I have one but it's been giving inconsistent readings lately so I tried a new one.

I use the TDS meter from the Filter Guys (probably the same thing everybody sells). They suggested placing measuring chambers(?) on either side of the DI resin chamber to get an idea of when to change things out. I have been making a TON of RODI water of late; the measurement in goes up to 25ppm then down to 0 in about 25 - 30 seconds every time which is what it has always done. I changed everything out about 3 months ago, the RO membranes are a challenge to get out!
Water Saver RO/DI

Changed out my RO DI resin filter... 6 ppm going in and 0 coming out. :) Guess I didn't realize how used up the resin filter was until I removed it and could see that it had completely changed color. I also noticed that the last time I tore down my RO unit that I didn't put the TDS meter sensors back on the correct lines, oops. So all is good again. :rofl:

can you explain how that happens to us ;)

Well I was in a hurry and put everything back together and messed it up. Later I was watching one of Bulk Reef Supply's RO videos and said to myself, "Did I do that correctly?"

Yesterday I spent pretty much all day weeding my tanks and setting back up my small in-take refugium inside of my actual 90 gallon refugium. I bought some live tiger pods from Reefmissoula and was hoping to get them to reproduce. :) Meanwhile I have also been feeding Arctic pods and my fish/corals have been pretty happy with them.

image-3344607081.jpg

Just hanging out.

Back