Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SP Aquatics

Sponsor
Step one: Build house = Check
Houseconstructionfront2.jpg

Step 2: Cram as big a tank as the finance will allow = Check
426gallontemplate.jpg

Been playing around in google sketch up all night. Things arent to scale, but should be close enough for a good idea.

SP Aquatics(Me) will be building everything for this job except a few parts, so it will take some time.

Not dead set on the filtration, but it should go skimmer/refugium/clam refugium down to dsb/return tank. Clam refugium is more just for fun than function.
Small 30ish gal QT tank
ATO tank off to the left.
Ozone will be run
CA reactor as well, not sure of which model yet.
Skimmer will be 36"x8" chamber plus which ever neck i run. Built by me. 2 recirc pumps, either ehiem 1262's or sicce 2500's.

The far left wing of the tank will house one large 20-22" diameter hollow rock 30" tall cresting the surface. Think nice sloped mountain. It will be about a foot from there to any other rock hence the island idea. Ill run 1-400w mh over this part as all sps will be on this one rock
3-250's over the rest of the tank. All reflectors big lumanarcs.

Stand 36" tall, canopy 12-14" tall locally built, nothing terribly fancy
Front of the L will be 45 degree sloped front but isnt in pics as that. (think pentagon tanks style)
NewHouseaquariumsetup2D3.jpg

NewHouseaquariumsetup2D2.jpg

NewHouseaquariumsetup2d4.jpg

NewHouseaquariumsetup2d1.jpg

we are looking at the house to be done in about a month....or 10. Plan to move in everything and tank go in last. I have a 125 running up at the shop that simply cant fit anything else coral wise in and a 150 gal tub curing rock/sand that isnt already established.

Looks like a fun one. Flow in a tank like that will be a puzzle to figure out. Are you going to use a CL or powerheads?

will be doing closed loop coming up from the bottom through out the entire display. Probably 6-7 outlets. Avoiding power heads at all cost.

Not dead set on the filtration, but it should go skimmer/refugium/clam refugium down to dsb/return tank. Clam refugium is more just for fun than function.

Other than aesthetics, what possible goal are you hoping from having the clam refugium? Nitrate reduction? Will this be designed as a top down view type refugium?

Also curious about your DSB configuration....it appears that your DSB will be remote and located in the "return tank." Is this the case? How big are planning on this return tank to be? Do you plan on any partitions for this return tank w/ the DSB? Or do you plan on any maintenance at all for your DSB?

will be doing closed loop coming up from the bottom through out the entire display. Probably 6-7 outlets. Avoiding power heads at all cost.

Why are you wanting to stay away from powerheads at all costs? What are you planning on running for your closed loop?

This looks like its going to be an awesome system. I'm looking forward to following along with this thread and watching this beast come to life!

Nick

the clam refugium will be a shallow tank with about 10 small clams used for their filter feeding abilities to clear out the water. Do I honestly think this is going to be enough to help the tank, No but id like to do it anyways, then once all the clams get to big, trade out for smaller ones again.

The drawings dont show it, but all of the tanks will be partitioned where needed. DSB and return tank will be in same tank, the tank will be approx 48"x20x20.

As for closed loop, thinking maybe a sequence tiger shark, or maybe to smaller systems @ 3000 gph each. I want to avoid powerheads because they are unattractive and bulky for ones that are worth their weight.

I am always open to suggestions on any of this as well, only but so many ways i can come up with on my own.

this wont be a sps dominated tank so i dont think 6000x2 gph is necessary.

House is almost done being bricked, its either raining or freezing so its taking for ever and then some. Interior is all painted up, cabinets being installed then the granite counter tops and all the bathroom fixtures. Still so much to do....

i would have the closed loop... but 3 nicely placed tunze's on a cotroller mixed in with the CL... and you sould be set for sure....

looks nice..I agree with going CL...

you mentioned this will NOT be a SPS dominated tank..have you decide what type of tank it will be? (FO, FOWLR, Mixed Reef) ?

it will be mixed reef. I plan to have one Large island at the end of the long part of the L. This will be the SPS rock. With about a foot between that and the next rocks. After that it will be mixed lps and softies.

some update pics
Exterior.jpg

Cabinets should be all installed soon enough.
Kitchen.jpg

Bathcabinet.jpg

I have a 150 gallon rubbermaid thats been running several weeks. It now has 6 green chromis in it haha. They seem to enjoy the massive swim room they have.
Rockbin.jpg

Chromis.jpg

Looking nice!!! That's a beautiful house you have being built!! I'm sure than tank will be just as nice :D

Back