5.7 Gal Nano Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dieden

Exocoetidae
First I would like to start off by giving a huge thank you to the RF community for helping me gain the knowledge to start this nano; specifically Krish, DonW, skimmerwhisperer and Scooter.

I decided to go with a completely custom system because I haven't had a good project to work on in a couple years. I thoroughly enjoy problem solving, drafting plans, and seeing raw materials turn into something spectacular. I chose acrylic for it's adaptability, ease of drilling, and the ability to cut my own pieces on traditional woodworking tools with which I am familiar.

I purchased two separate pieces of acrylic. A 3/8in piece of cast clear for the sides, front and back and a 1/4in piece of black cast for the bottom and overflow.

The main display is 12X12X10 (outside measurements) with a 3in overflow/equipment area.

Since threads are useless without pics, here we go.

Mini-jet MN606. 159gph max
a0c22678.jpg

Rio Nano Skimmer
24d47061.jpg

Acrylic
a0998742.jpg

My buddy helping me moch it up.
39b3baa3.jpg

Routing the overflow
9e47a716.jpg

38ee5191.jpg

Final moch up.
39da7743.jpg

cbf99c70.jpg

15d52600.jpg

I will have to wait till next week to glue it all because I don't have the Weldon #3 necessary, but you can get the picture. Let me know what you think 

This is how the edges came out from being cut with a wood blade, do I need to sand a bit before trying to glue with Weldon #3?

I like what you have so far. Can't wait to see the finished product. I have no tips on the glue. I always thought things adhered better when they had a rough finish IMO. Best luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Weldon is a solvent that essentially melds the two pieces together into a solid entity instead of a glue that adheres two separate pieces. It is water this, so I'm worried that I will have gaps in the bond or bubbles that will weaken the joint

Great looking start. I would suggest that you maybe run the edges of the acrylic through the router table before you do the glue up. Also I would suggest using weld-on 16 with a fine tip applicator.

Cheers,
Alex

I had issues with the router, it runs so fast that it melted the acrylic quite a bit, I am going to hand plane the edges about 1/32 of an inch to smooth them out. I may have to go to 1/16, but I would prefer not to.

My LFS told me that a percula isn't a suitable fish for a 12X12X11 display area. I have seen them in similar size tanks and was wondering if I could refer to some of the experts. If purchased very young, how long could a true perc or a black australlian perc inhabit this tank before it started stunting their growth or causing other issues?

Okay, I have decided that there is a problem with my current setup... I have no space for chaeto!!!
I know that with consistant and frequent water changes, this is a minor problem. I am, however, using this tiny setback as an excuse to build a refugeum for this tiny sucker from the acrylic I have left over :) All I have to purchase is one more Mini-Jet to do it too.
I am just going to build a simple box with an overflor lip and set it behind my nano slightly elevated, easy peasy lemon squeezy. I'm not quite sure how big it is going to be yet, but I figure any additional water volume will help stabalise everything.

So, what kind of critters should I throw in there?
Clams, Feather dusters?

Haha, but then I have to buy another hang on filter and find a place to hang it.
The building part won't be too hard, just an hour or two more.

I'm thinking I may just save up and go with a flaming prawn goby. Those suckers have enough personality to be a centerpiece of any nano. Deffinately more pricey than I was originally thinking, but dang it I might as well get what I want if I'm going to settle for a 6 gal!

I'm thinking I may just save up and go with a flaming prawn goby. Those suckers have enough personality to be a centerpiece of any nano. Deffinately more pricey than I was originally thinking, but dang it I might as well get what I want if I'm going to settle for a 6 gal!

seriously... so expensive..

Back