500 Gallon SPS Dominant Zeovit

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The past week I have been testing my parameters and my nitrates were 2-5 ppm and my phosphates went from .13 ppm to 0 ppm and that reading has been for the last 3 days. Any secret why?

Sent from my Reef using Tapatalk. Yeaaaaa Boi!!!

Those are great numbers but who knows why they change the way they do. Unless you did a water change or added any new devices, I don't have a clue.

Those are great numbers but who knows why they change the way they do. Unless you did a water change or added any new devices, I don't have a clue.

Did a water change on Sunday like normal. Didn't add any new devices.

Feeding anything different?

Feeding is still the same. A sheet of nori 3 times a week in my DT, 1/2 Sheet for the Purple in my frag tank.
Yes, but I'd have to kill you. :evil:

The aquarium gods are smiling on you. Probably means you should start a new tank.

Starting to lose your reef swag Mike. Starting a new tank is the last thing I need to do. Seriously thanks for your input. I should bow down to the reef gods.

Wayne, I think Mike is right, the problem is, your tank is way too small, letting your parameters swinging too much. You probably need to go up to 1000 gallons and use that tank for a sump. Shouldn't run you much more than a couple hundred grand.

Wayne, I think Mike is right, the problem is, your tank is way too small, letting your parameters swinging too much. You probably need to go up to 1000 gallons and use that tank for a sump. Shouldn't run you much more than a couple hundred grand.

you guys kill me Besides thats a lotto money type of tank i think im good where i am.

you guys kill me Besides thats a lotto money type of tank i think im good where i am.

With my lotto winnings, which I am still trying to attain is to build a huge tank, the size of a house with an open area in the middle for my living area. Then have a passage way under it and a viewing area around the outside. That way the fish can swim in a big circle. Probably not going to happen.

With my lotto winnings, which I am still trying to attain is to build a huge tank, the size of a house with an open area in the middle for my living area. Then have a passage way under it and a viewing area around the outside. That way the fish can swim in a big circle. Probably not going to happen.

Never say never.

now that would be cool. i have always dreamed of having a reef tank that i could swim in. i think that is a lot of our dreams. you have to have dreams. i know i dreamed about my tank for years before i had it. a buddy and i were going to build it. acrylic was too much money. years later. i got a phone call and now have my dream tank. woo hoo

i've always wondered if after i hit the lottery and bought beach front property where i could snorkel everyday if i would even keep a tank... then i realize there's little chance i'm going to not keep a tank...

now that would be cool. i have always dreamed of having a reef tank that i could swim in. i think that is a lot of our dreams. you have to have dreams. i know i dreamed about my tank for years before i had it. a buddy and i were going to build it. acrylic was too much money. years later. i got a phone call and now have my dream tank. woo hoo

Congrats reefman.

I tested the parameters of my freshly made saltwater. I use the regular Red Sea salt and the readings are as follows :

Salinity - 1.023/4
Calcium - 420 ppm
Magnesium 1260 ppm
Alkalinity - 9.7 dKh

I think my batches are bad because the alk is supose to read between 7.3-7.7 dKH.

I got a few frags to place in the frag tank from ORA.

Green Planet
a9yzepun.jpg

Marshal Island Yellow Fuzzy
utujy7es.jpg

Micronesian Green and Blue Acro
y6urezy9.jpg

Blue Voodoo Staghorn
a8ydy6e3.jpg

Rose Millepora
gupu4ype.jpg

Marshal Island Misty Purple
epa8y5yb.jpg

Well I know it's been a while but not a lot has been happening. The Moorish Idol is still a pig in the QT. I transferred the six Longspine Cardinalfish (Zoramia leptacantha) to the main DT.

I believe my system has reached ULNS as my nitrates and phosphates have been 0 ppms for the past 2-3 weeks. I have been feeding the fish 3 times a day during this period as I like to keep some nitrates (2-5 ppms) to aid in controlling phosphates. I have also started adding more KZ products to help what corals I have in the DT and frag tank.

The frag tank is getting full with more corals. After adding some suggested KZ product I have seen color flourishing and more polyp extent ion. My tri color acropora is slowly coming back too. Also the diatoms and crazy algae is finally going away.

I will probably post a video of the tanks once everyone gets settled. Everyone meaning corals and fish.

New Video of the Frag Tank

Here is an update to the frag tank. Compared to the other video you can see that the diatoms are about 90% gone. I also added the frags from the DT because it has better lighting. The new additions are;

Blue Candy Canes
Kryptonite Candy Canes
Rainbow Millipora
Miami Vice Chalice
Unknown Chalice
Pink Gonipora
Pink Ding Dang Palys
Blue Rhino Palys
Utter Chaos Palys
Yellow Acropora

Nice looking tank Wayne, I didn't think that the Moorish Idol was reef safe. Have you had any problems with him?

Back