500 Watts MH too much

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Holygral

Holygral
I have a 75 gal 48x21Hx18w with mixed corals and a GBTA. I was looking to upgrade my lighting to a Current with 2x250 MH, is this too much or would 2x150 or 175 be better suited? Also the light would be approx 4-5 inches above the water surface. (on legs)

As always thanks!

If you can fit the 250's I'd go with them If your planning on keeping sps light demanding corals that would work really well. Just need plenty of room for cooling. You could go with less If your not wanting to go all out on the more demanding corals, that is close to the water regardless what lights you keep heat will be something to plan for.

Poor 120 gallon reef tank...this guy on another forum bought a 1072 watt light MH light fixture for it...CRAZY

250's will be your best option as you wont find yourself a year down the4 road (or less)wishing you would have bought more light so you can keep more light demanding corals an d clams.

In a tank that size 250's will allow you to keep pretty much anything happy, for hardly any more cost initially or in electricity.

If it seems to be too much for most of what you keep now simply reduce the photoperiod or raise the lights farther from the water.

I'd definitely suggest the 250's. Even if you don't go the route of sps, you may want to try a clam and they are light demanding, least the crocea and maxima are.

At 21" it all depends on what you want to keep and how high the lights will be mounted over the water. 250's or 400's depending on the forementioned.

Don

everything has already been said, but you'll be good w/ 250s. I had 2 250w over my 55 gallon for SPS and it worked great for years.

Back