50b Build Check list and advise!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Basically it is a second pump that is completely separate from the sump. It runs input AND output directly into (and from) the display tank. The only purpose is to increase flow rates in the display. There should be some threads here to explain further as I have only built one closed loop system and am no expert. Just search closed loop in the RF search function.

If it were me, I would explain my setup to skimmerwhisperer and see what volume of flow he recommended for the sump (As the skimmer would be the primary mechanical filter process) and base your closed loop pump on the difference between that flow and the desired flow in the display.

Think about it this way. The sump just processes the water it does NOT provided flow for the display. so a 50 really only needs about 200 gph after head loss. Flow is provided via powerheads or a closed loop. A closed loop on a glass tank is going to take alot of drilling to get it to look decent.

Don

glad I don't mind seeing powerheads hahaha

Here is one of my older closed loops.
356125_011.jpg

Here is one of my older closed loops.
356125_011.jpg

good god @.@ that is intimidating.. I may just stick with using 2 vortech mp10es >.>.

I might just order those two things from gl*******s >.> wanna start workin on this thing.

That is a very complex version. I was thinking more along the lines of one intake and two returns. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

That is a very complex version. I was thinking more along the lines of one intake and two returns. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Easy for you :( I'm scared lol. But I want to get it up and running I wasn't even sure about my return choices and my overflow choice. I still need to find return PUMPS :():( :(

Build may have to sit on the shelf for a while... can't choose what to get. :(

Yup I would go with those. But like I said before. U can bulid your own overflow box for a third of yh price.

True.. and just buy the bulkheads and.. the bit eh.. Got a link to to the diy overflow.

True.. and just buy the bulkheads and.. the bit eh.. Got a link to to the diy overflow.

Its just an acrylic box nothing special. The slots are cut using a box joint jig on a router table. By the time you buy the plastic, weldon and equipment to make one it would be cheaper to just buy one.

Don

Its just an acrylic box nothing special. The slots are cut using a box joint jig on a router table. By the time you buy the plastic, weldon and equipment to make one it would be cheaper to just buy one.

Don

Let alone I don't have much in the tool department, for crafting something like that.

Back