50b Build Check list and advise!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lol o welll guess you gotta buy what you gotta buy. People want the tank out of the garage lolol

Also paint the background before or after drilling>.>

I painted my first tank before I drilled. The second was painted after I drilled. I didn't see any noticeable difference in the finished product. Just a bit more taping for the post drilling paint job.

Last edited:
I painted my first tank before I drilled. The second was painted after I drilled. I didn't see any noticeable difference in the finished product. Just a bit more taping for the post drilling paint job.

Thanks, I may wait and paint after. Just to be on the safe side. Is there a specific kind of paint to get or is it any spraypaint @ the home depot or lowes.

Thanks, I may wait and paint after. Just to be on the safe side. Is there a specific kind of paint to get or is it any spraypaint @ the home depot or lowes.

I used Krylon Fusion. It seems to be holding up so far.

Also paint the background before or after drilling>.>

Any standard spray paint will work. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is to make sure you clean the glass well or the paint won't adhere well. prep is the key with painting.

I'm sure they make something better but i used a little rubbing alcohol before painting for a quick drying very clean surface.

Also in my 40B i used 2 returns in each upper corner for better circulation and a symertrical look. minimal plumbing required.

Any standard spray paint will work. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is to make sure you clean the glass well or the paint won't adhere well. prep is the key with painting.

My package from glass-holes just came today. WOOOOOOOOOO now to get it drilled.

in the event that Don can't drill this tank for me is there anyone else experienced in this that would do it for me ?

Wish i lived closer i have a set of drill bits from glass-holes.com and have done it about 10 times with no problem. If you do it yourself just use light pressure high speed and lots of water. maybe have a beer first to calm your nerves...worked for me LoL.

in the event that Don can't drill this tank for me is there anyone else experienced in this that would do it for me ?

Going to have to go see if my uncle will let me borrow that drill! LoL.. Wish people around here would buy more tools.

I'm tihnking the overflow on the left and two returns on the right.. Seeing as there is a center brace and overflow in the middle I think would not be a good idea

Going to have to go see if my uncle will let me borrow that drill! LoL.. Wish people around here would buy more tools.

I'm tihnking the overflow on the left and two returns on the right.. Seeing as there is a center brace and overflow in the middle I think would not be a good idea

Just buy a drill, than you'll have one for when you need it. Like now, if you had a drill it would have already been done and you would be that much closer to making this tank a reality.

Why would it not be a good idea to have the overflow under the brace? Do you plan on water going above the trim?

Just buy a drill, than you'll have one for when you need it. Like now, if you had a drill it would have already been done and you would be that much closer to making this tank a reality.

Why would it not be a good idea to have the overflow under the brace? Do you plan on water going above the trim?

Just doesn't seem right to me, and with two split returns on eachside doesn't seem good either.

I figure if the overflow is in the brace that would make it harder to remove the Top on it.

Back