55 gallon lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slate

I know there are hundreds of threads on lighting but my head is swimming with so much info from searching them that it is all a jumble. This 55 gallon tank(48"L x 12.5"W x 19"H) is my first venture into reef aquariums, or marine aquariums for that matter. I am trying to look for a 48" used Compact Fluorescent fixture around $100 or less that will allow me to keep some beginner corals(not set on any exact types at this point). My main problem is that I have read a thousand different things on the wattage for each tank and all the by the gallon nonsense. So any tips you folks can offer on what to look for and what to keep away from would be a huge help as I begin my search.

Thank you,
Shane

Lighting

I also started off with a 55 gal reef tank.
I used a 260 watt compact flourescent from e-bay for $100.
I was able to keep soft corals, LPS and montipora digitata and cap SPS corals.
You may want to get T-5 lights so you have more options.

I also started off with a 55 gal reef tank.
I used a 260 watt compact flourescent from e-bay for $100.
I was able to keep soft corals, LPS and montipora digitata and cap SPS corals.
You may want to get T-5 lights so you have more options.

If you don't mind me asking, what brand was the one you picked up off ebay?

Lighting

It was the Oddysea.

I think the seller was the Fishman.

It served its purpose. I ended up giving it away when I moved from Florida to Washington.

They probably have a T-5 light for just a bit more. T-5 bulb last longer and will allow for more SPS corals. With CFs, you will need to keep certain corals high in the tank.

It was the Oddysea.

I think the seller was the Fishman.

It served its purpose. I ended up giving it away when I moved from Florida to Washington.

They probably have a T-5 light for just a bit more. T-5 bulb last longer and will allow for more SPS corals. With CFs, you will need to keep certain corals high in the tank.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eyes open for good deals.

i to am a begginer with a 55g " my first salt tank" right now i have a 36" odyssea t5. i cant keep anything with that so i have been looking at that light as well, for an upgrade. would i be able to keep soft and hard coral with it? thanks

4XT5HO, with quality ballast and individual reflectors, or ICR, which is a single reflector that is bent around each bulb, in a "gull wing" pattern, will allow you to keep most anything you want, in a 55. It'll run much more efficiently than PC lighting, AND run cooler. The Aquatrader link above shows ICR, which is good. However, I can't comment on the ballast used in that fixture. However, for the price, you could upgrade to an Icecap ballast, which would overdrive the bulbs. This would shorten their life span, but not by much, and they'd deliver much more PAR. If you went with the Aquatrader fixture, I'd definitely recommend replacing the bulbs with better bulbs.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Mike.I too have tried allot of diff lighting. Form the begining.What mike is talking about by "overdriving"Will make the bulb run at 110% effecientcy.(not spelt right) And give u your money worth.And the parts and cheap and plentyfull if need .Be.I started with a 55 as well It is now the sump and have a 125.Let us know what u come up with!

for our 55gal, we bought the nova tek t5 fixture w/ 2x46w. It wasn't great, it ran really hot, but it was cheap, like $120 or something. it did fine though for a softy tank. We had the nova tek extreme pro 6x39w on our 46g, and that thing was AWESOME!! we grew everything in there. I know its tough, but save a bit, and buy a better fixture now, cuz you will end up spending the money on the nicer light anyway, might as well save the money from the in between light fixture. good luck!

4XT5HO, with quality ballast and individual reflectors, or ICR, which is a single reflector that is bent around each bulb, in a "gull wing" pattern, will allow you to keep most anything you want, in a 55. It'll run much more efficiently than PC lighting, AND run cooler. The Aquatrader link above shows ICR, which is good. However, I can't comment on the ballast used in that fixture. However, for the price, you could upgrade to an Icecap ballast, which would overdrive the bulbs. This would shorten their life span, but not by much, and they'd deliver much more PAR. If you went with the Aquatrader fixture, I'd definitely recommend replacing the bulbs with better bulbs.

Thanks for the great advise everyone. Which brand and make of bulbs would you suggest as an upgrade?

Back