6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looks awesome, i've had one of those tanks for a couple years now and they are awesome dimensions but man they scratch insanely easy. They are made of a softer plastic then acrylic, they are made of the type of plastic cd cases are and even acrylic scrapers will scratch it as i found out the hard way. I never found a way to remove the algae from mine without leaving microscratches, i even tried magic sponges, eventually it lead to the tank being pretty hazy from tons of little scratches :(

Hey Caitlen, your lil tank looks awsome but as others have stated no big suprise. I'm with Skimmy on adding some LED's like a Stunner Strip and believe thats all you would need and would give the shimmer look as well. As far as cooling issues go the tank is sitting on a huge heat sink ie: 'granite slab' if you were to place a piece of heat conductive material thats the same thickness as the dimension of void under bottom of tank it would effectively remove heat from the water column. If you could give me exact dimensions I would be happy to fabricate a small piece of Corian type material for you. We have a few months yet before any chance of real heat issues but shoot me a pm if your interested or want/need a better explanation.

Cheers, Todd
Thanks Todd. I have sliders under tank to slide back and forth. Hopefully I can manage heat issues in the summer.

Gorgeous tank. I was just at petco today and saw these. What a perfect bathroom or kitchen tank.

Where did you get your Maxi-Mini anemones? I have just discovered them (been away from the hobby a long time) Are they expensive? Can you propagate them?
I get my minis thru trades, online, LFS. They have range anywhere from $40-$140 for me. You can propagate them by cutting them in half, but this is very risky. They can look very good and healing well after you cut, then 2 weeks later overnight they turn to mush and can pollute your water.

mgdmirage---What lighting did you have?
I added blue led stunner strip to t5 fixture, color is better but I'm used to MH look. I'm looking to switch out my t5 bulbs, but bulbs will cost more than my fixture.

Oh it was planted freshwater setup i had a couple of regular flourescent tubes over it hehe. If you guys figure out something to clean the algae off tank without scratching it i'd love to know, i still have tank and i'd love to buff it out and use it again for a mini-reef.

Changed aquascape a bit. I lost the flower nems, but the meteor shower grew very well. Also added 2 sexy shrimp. I tried adding a couple blue stunner strips but didn't like the color.
I have been so busy last few months, finally did a water change after 12 weeks. Minis didn't seem to be effected by lack of water change. Updated pics coming soon.

Back