75 Gallon Peninsula plumbing options

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rukis

Hello All!!

I recently picked up a 75 and after forcing myself not to just throw this together and get started i decided i will actually take the time to plan this. Which ended up on my deciding choice of making it a peninsula style tank.

I have done a good amount of reading, and am thinking about doing the beananimal style overflow.

So my question is......

If you were about to make a 75 Gallon peninsula tank, how would you plumb it?

The bottom is tempered glass so i cannot drill straight down.

I really think i like the beananimal due to the failsafe that is involved.

1201inchA.jpg

back-wide_500x375.jpg

From Left to Right

• Emergency Standpipe
  • Full Siphon Standpipe
  • Open Channel Standpipe

So i just wanted to see if anyone out there has done this method, and if they had any complaints, rants, or how they would change it if they did it again.

i look forward to your responses!

-damien

Hi damien.
Ive actually done this. Aga 75g with bean and penninsula.
Not needed imo. Herbie is cleaner setup and easier imo...less invloved and simpler.
Get a gate valve on ur full siphon not ball valves.
Hths
D

Hi damien.
Ive actually done this. Aga 75g with bean and penninsula.
Not needed imo. Herbie is cleaner setup and easier imo...less invloved and simpler.
Get a gate valve on ur full siphon not ball valves.
Hths
D

Herbie is my either, or , kinda thing.. Conversations are all telling me Herbie too...

So if you were gonna do it again you would without a doubt pick Herbie over beananimal?

Is Herbie your current setup?

Good lookin and it does it help..

Yep herbie is my current on my updated version of that tank.
If u can, come.down to.barrier and OBD. Ask and they will tell.or.try and help.
I should.mock.up and scale down the.two.for.comparison.
Like ten gals or something hmmm with 3/4" or even 1/2"
Ran off same pump.
D

So the first question is internal or external overflow box. My Aga tanks are drilled with corner overflows out the bottom so no doubt for Herbie (I am modified with 90% syphon vs dry standpipe.

With your tank and a termpered bottom you will need to drill the sides. Since you are drilling the 2 standpipe vs 3 standpipe is not as much as an issue. Do you want an internal overflow box or external?

I plan on having it be internal. I started looking for any kind of screen online but had no luck outside of a kit. But I know I could have one made pretty quick. Just hate asking for someone to make me something just because I know I am pretty busy day to day.

I had got a simple acrylic corner overflow for my 40 breeder from a buddy who got it at OBD for cheap.

I am starting to think I like the Herbie but, how low would the holes need to be since I can't go through the bottom and will need to come through a bulkhead on a side. I am assuming 7-8 inches below the water line.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

IMO the internal overflow will be just as efficient the external overflow.
Internal you will lose some real-estate.
Internal can be blacked out.
Internal, no exterior leaks
Internal easier to attach.
Internal easier to get CTC skimming

Exterior possible leaks
Exterior needs bracing for extra weight on side panel
exterior, creative blacking out of plumbing in OF box

Exterior difficult to get CTC skimming

These are some of the pros and cons of each
Someone may chime in with more

Then bean animal

BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System

Note 3 holes drilled in glass up by the waterline.
2 pieces of blasé to form the overflow box. The normal is glass with an acrylic cover. There is a black gutter mesh if to are unable to route teeth.

Ya.. And beananimal style was my initial want. And i like how it didn't require the depth of the over flow that Herbie does.

This is why I seeked for some input.

I am definitely leaning towards internal.

Now just need to figure out if I go Herbie how far down would i need to have my tank drilled to accommodate the depth required.

This is initially why I was leaning toward the beananimal method. But looking at the tank if I lost 4-6" on one side I wouldn't be heart broken. I am coming from a 40 breeder this feels like a good jump and love the dimensions.

40B r sweet.
In my 75G I had a box half way down and now its a wall if that makes sense.
Bean animal ull need at least 8" or so down and out.

I have a strainer on my current full siphon not a 90.
Than an upright 90 on my alert siphon. Drain for that was cut high so u can hear the splash noise. Meaning open er up a bits more.
Hths
D

Back