75g modified System II w/ Miracle Mud & NO SKIMMER

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TJL

copod
Hey,

I'm finally posting my "Holiday Redo"...Long story short... After summer heatwave my 50g acrylic started coming apart at the seems (water temp 94)
So since unemployeed ( temporary retirement) I found a CL tank w/ stand & canopy plus misc.for $200 because it was cleaned with a scouring pad :eek: After sanding & buffing out entire tank it was time to modify the 'System II' plumbing which lacks the power to be very effective. These pics show some of the plumbing in early progress in beginning of December. As is in most plumbing projects you gotta be flexible ( the last pic I was just going to add the new sump plumbing to the original, but when doing overflow test I realized that it would continue to syphon the tank down to built in spray bar OOOOps!)

Holiday Redo part II

My next project was the addition of my old 40R acrylic for the sump/refugium. Another CL purchase from a RFer was a Iwaki MD30 for my return. I have plumbed lots of tanks over the years so needed only 10 or so trips to hardware store and a couple Aquacave.com orders for this part. After years of maintaining a skimmer I decided to go w/o and give 'Miracle Mud' a shot which allows you to have maximum volume in the sump/fuge. These pics once again show early progress.

Holiday Redo part III

So, because my livestock is living in temporary housing all over our house I'm setting everything thats ready to clear out for X-mas. I moved it into the house then had to make 2 trips to Denny's in Totem Lake to buy water 100g's since all my extra tanks and coolers were full of livestock & LR. Per instructions I added 'Miracle Mud' and let soak for 3 hrs before cycling. During that time I built the base reef structure including a elevated section using pvc pipe an idea from Michael Palettas book 'Ultimate Marine Aquariums' these pics show some of the goings on.

Holiday Redo part IV

OK everything coming together finally 12/20-21st installing lights in canopy and placing on tank for corals. I am retrofitting hood with my VHO's plus adding a std 36" 30w 10K for dawn dusk light and 2 of the LED's for night lighting. I have always painted inside of canopies w/ white epoxy and did this time also but, glued in Mylar for added reflection which I hid my LED wiring for its protection. I also let the Mylar hang down in front and in back to keep light out of overflow area of System II which will help with control of algae mucking up prefilter media.

On the 21st I imported my fish and last of coral frags available. I have noticed an increased polyp extension and color up from previous tank, some obviuosly from nearly 100% water change. Canopy now in place spent most of day puting away mess before my wife did it for me :eek:. I'm using my 36" VHO's until the need to replaced then will go with 48" ( actually 46.5" AquaBrite VHO's from Kelsun Dist.) they will fit in std hood nicely.:D

Holiday Redo part V

OK, the NEW YEAR has arrived and everything is settling into place so now its time for some trading and additions. I've also started to modify my plumbing already, ordered a 1" true union anti-siphon for my return to tank, a 1" pvc union for pickup to return pump, a 3/4" ball valve to control output to built in spray bar of System II and lowered my drilled spray bar into sump for noise reduction.
I finally made it down to 'A Red Sea Aquarium' had a great visit with Robert plus picked up a couple of frags, and a quarter sized Hepatus Tang to go into QT with 2 baby Bangai Cardinals not even 3/4" in length yet. I thinned out a few more Xenia then added these frags to some from Kevin in Shoreline starting my sps frag jungle at top of reef structure. Now all I need is a few more pieces and a LARGE DOSE OF PATIENCE :rolleyes:

Holiday Redo part VI

Could almost start a SE Everett chapter of 'Reef Frontiers' have been to a few very local members and picked up some really nice frags along with several starts of Chaeto w/ pods for my fuge (Thanks so very much to all).
I happened to be able to help Gordy with his sump blowout and he so generously loaded me up with some exceptional cuttings from his corals. I spent nearly all night mounting and rearanging my tank to accomodate them. Now as I said before a REALLY LARGE DOSE OF PATIENCE to let them grow out. Which means I'll only be looking for some lower level items like zoos to finish out coral :lol:. I put a McCoskers Wrasse & Tailspot Blenny on hold at Denny's so with the baby Hippo & Bangais will call it good on fish also.

P.S.
Update on 'Miracle Mud' NO Skimmer

Have had only a small cylcle with a little brown diatom bloom so I did a 15% water change and all readings are good to go and boy is is nice without having to clean a skimmer, will cross fingers and hope it stays that way. I have thought about adding a CPR Backpak to see if anything is there to skim, will continue to post updates

Last edited:
I like how even eco-systems themselves sell a "PRO" system designed with a skimmer...

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/products/filters/pro-series-filters.html

I sold/used this stuff for years, IMO, you should look into adding an inexpensive skimmer and running GAC/GFO 24/7 with this stuff.

better yet, use only half of what they recommend and regular oolithic sand for the other half.

that being said, your aquarium looks great.

Last edited:
Miracle Mud add ons

Hey,

Thanks that reminds that I forgot to add that I have been running carbon as well as Rowaphos to the system but would like to add a small HOB skimmer as well. If anyone has one not in use that they would like to trade for ? let me know.

Also hope all is going well for you guys in looking for some opperating $$$ would love to see what you have going so far. I've been self-employeed for most of my working life and recently lost my small business due to slow economy. Send me pm as I have been in manufacturing, wholesaling, repping and retail.

Todd

Update

I will be adding a Eshopps HOB skimmer shortly to system but still have had only very minor cycles which is impressive to me with all the changes/additions I've made in such a short timeframe. Heres a few pics as is currently.

Todd

Plumbing update

So here is updated pics after adding anti-syphon union to return pump and lowering spraybar into sump for noise reduction.

Todd

Looking good Todd. I like the favias you have. Those Euphylias look very happy in there. Watch that encrusting gorgonian...they don't know when to stop....ever.

THANKS everyone,

I will be adding some more zoo/paly starts plus a few rics to bottom then its time to sit back and watch em grow.

Todd

Anti Siphon Union question

So here is updated pics after adding anti-syphon union to return pump and lowering spraybar into sump for noise reduction.

Todd

Hey Todd, can you talk about your anti siphon union set up a bit...what was the source for your hardware, looks a-ok. I would like to adopt your idea if it works well for you, thanks for your info if ya have a moment.

All the Best
artguy1

Nice mod. I'd considered something similar for a 40 gallon SystemII Ihave sitting in my garage.

True union w/ check valve

Hey Artguy,

Good request, as I had never known how awesome these things are until I really needed one for how the plumbing design turned out. I tied in the built in spraybar of the "System II" with a 'T' and DID NOT TEST it again while in the garage. My design had at least one of the returns near surface to break siphon but totally did not account for the line to the spraybar being able to continue siphoning OOOOOPS! Anyway I found this one at Marine Depot for just over $20 and there are several options ie; size and threaded or slip for pvc attachment. It also can go verticle or horizontal. Here is a pic from MD's website.

Todd

Last edited:
Just watch that valve carefully and test frequently. I have heard several stories of these failing when they are needed most due to things like calcium buildup, critters (snails, limpits, etc.) and algaes getting into the valve area preventing a complete seal.

Back