A Better Salt Study Thread

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wow, what a great thread! I think the most telling comment regarding this experiment goes back to the first post:

<<< Again, as Mr. Borneman himself concedes, the salt brands are often inconsistent even between batches. So, even with all the power and forgiveness one can gain from a repeated measures study, it doesn't apply here because the batches of the sand brands weren't consistent and experimenters only made this inconsistency more pronounced by doing 100% water changes with each new batch of salt. >>>

I think it's common knowledge that most if not all salt brands are not 100% consistent from batch to batch and formulas may also be purposely altered at any time by the manufacturer. This would make any short term experiment kinda worthless IMO since you're not comparing 100% consistent products to begin with. At best, it may give someone a very small idea of what salt(s) may be somewhat more conducive to success with keeping certain specimens as opposed to other salts, but even that's a big stretch IMO.

I can imagine a good mystery novel plot, where some salt company finds out about the soon to be released study and decides they would lose too much money, etc. etc. etc.

I can imagine a good mystery novel plot, where some salt company finds out about the soon to be released study and decides they would lose too much money, etc. etc. etc.

lol Mystery novel... or maybe an episode of The Closer?

Esper: on the posts announcing his cancellation it says he did so for "personal and professional" reasons. I think he said the same thing when he withdrew from IMAC. So I don't know when/if we'll ever get the final salt study results. Maybe if he makes it to MACNA he'll talk about it then.

Back