A couple of more question on a new set up re: equipment

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

markang

A couple of question on equipment please! :high5::high5:
55 gallon tank (no sump, just tank)

First: Filter/Skimmer
Currently it has a Fluval 305 filter. I've read it's a nitrate issue starter, and that a skimmer may be better.
Question is: does a HOB Skimmer replace the filter? or I should run both?
Any reasonably priced skimmers recommended? (brand/model etc?)

Second: Air flow pump.
This is one of those fans that creates a current in a tank.
Is 1 usually enough? or do i need 2 (on opposite ends) pushing current both ways?

Thanks so much guys!!

What are you planning on putting in the tank? That makes a big difference on what equipment you need. Let us know what your plans are and we can then try to answer your questions.

A skimmer removes proteins from your tank (some fish waste, leftover food, organic matter.)

The fluval filter (I'm guessing) has some sponges that will remove detritus (actually just going to be a nitrate factory) and maybe a bit of biological filtration. It won't remove much protein unless the proteins are in chunks (such as chunks of food.) The skimmer can removed proteins from the water by pulling them out via their hydrophobic regions. (bubbling air through water to pull out sludge.)

How many powerheads? Depends on what you want to keep. If you were going to do fish, I'd say put one on each end, and they don't have to be that great. If doing something like SPS coral, you would need better quality and higher quantity. On my 75 SPS tank I have 2 large powerheads on either end then a few small ones hidden in the rockwork to eliminate dead spots. You can start with one or 2 and see how well they do. Most fish don't need a huge amount of current, but you might start to notice cyanobacteria or other algae building up in dead spots. More current helps keep some of that under control.

I'm guessing with no sump you are thinking fish only.

I would maybe say put some live rock in a a few powerheads, ditch the canister filter as it isn't needed.

As for a protein skimmer, you will probably want one at some point when you get a higher bioload, but without a lot of stuff in your tank, there is not going to be much protein to skim, so you could hold off on it for a bit. (If you had a sump, I'd say pick out your skimmer to make sure you have the proper space requirement, but since you are just going to hang it off the side...) Make sure you aren't overfeeding though. That is one way to get a lot of protein gunk in a low bioload system. Don't overfeed. :)

Important to remember a lot of the equipment it to allow smaller, less frequent water changes. You can counteract a lot of buildup by doing large more frequent changes. Other equipment is to make your chemistry easier (minimize dosing/testing.) If you are doing fish only, that isn't so much of an issue.

What are you planning on putting in the tank? That makes a big difference on what equipment you need. Let us know what your plans are and we can then try to answer your questions..

It's a 55G tank. Right now i'm gonna put a few pieces of LR in, and about 40lbs of dry rock..
there's probably gonna be 6-8 fishes in there after all is said and done.
Would like to get some soft corals once things stablize..

based on that.. Please let me know more about skimmer / power head :)

Thanks so much!!

I guess if I was setting up that tank, I would ditch the canister and put in more liverock (maybe half to 3/4 # per gallon) and put in a pair of korelia 3 powerheads, one on each size.

Eventually you will want a protein skimmer I think, but could probably wait a bit to add it in.

Maybe someone else will chime in with an opinion. I'm running an SPS coral setup now, so not exactly sure.

Used to run a fish only tank and I had a protein skimmer and canister filter. I had crazy nitrates though, and didn't water change near enough. That was 10+years ago though. Soft corals would have been toasted in that system.

To start with anyway, you can put in the rock and a couple of powerheads and let the tank cycle

Thanks for all the advice. one quick follow up.
If I put in a HOB skimmer like a Reef Octopus or something..
Would i get rid of the current Fluval filter? or just remove the sponge and run carbon only filtration?

protein skimmer and Fluval filter are different and not really related.

I would put in more live rock and ditch the fluval right away. You can run carbon in the fluval if you want.

Skimmer should be added, but isn't going to be really important until you have some bioload. Without bioload, there is nothing to skim (unless you are overfeeding, which you should avoid.)

HOB octopus is GREAT idea. I would definitely run a skimmer. Ditch the fluval. Add more rock, look in the classifieds here for good deals on it. I would shoot for 30-40# of rock. Then let the tank cycle for a week or two before you start adding stuff. What type of fish are you thinking of??

If you're just doing fish and softies I would look at this skimmer http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/reef-octopus-hang-on-the-back-1000-oct-bh1000.html

Last edited:
Back