A decade of setups + NOW begins 36X40X18 Project ~100gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

UPDATE TIME:

Well things changed. some things worked some things failed.
Foam wall out and donated. hopefully s.clarki will post some pics of its new home in the school.
With the foam wall and all the rock i had stored it just looked super cramped.

Closed loop leaked horribly. I already filled the tank and had no possible way to redo the plumbing i swore it didn't leak in the test run. AND why don't they make male adapter for 1 1/2 - 1 inch? anyways that is on hold till next update. so the k4s with have to do for now

had some casualties during the move unfortunately. lost my beloved purple/orange colored plate coral that i had purchased half dead and nurtured back to full health rip. lost my small colony of hammers. sigh sigh made me sad. everything else though is happy and alive.

I went with the more open look because i love plate corals (fungia) and have so much room on the sand floor :D.

FULL TANK SHOT WOOT

IMG_2133.jpg

GIVE U A GOOD IDEA HOW DEEP THIS TANK IS :D
IMG_2126.jpg

here are some of the happy residence. i couldn't get any shot of the other zoas though, tank is too deep and my digital camera is pretty crappy.

the ubiquitous clown hosting shot :D
showcase001.jpg

sea apple and pallys and trumpets

showcase003.jpg

brain? thingy?
showcase005.jpg

Last edited:
man that looks great I need to come see in person.... For the comments about GF's and such now you know why I have stayed single :) Much simpler life lol

with the foam I think it needs more rocks and fill in the cracks with the foam!
It will have a more natural look also coat the foam with two part epoxy and sprinkle sand on it!!

yup. just foam alone is not very good. looks gaudy. when the foam is about 5 min into hardening sprinkle softening sand on it. You can buy it in the hardware store for like 6 bucks for a 20lb bag. When it hardens rinse it off and you end up with a porous looking mass that imitates a natural look with almost Hollywood style authenticity. fromhear you can epoxy and sand it if desired.

There are many varations of foam walls. Sand,rocks mixed in, and salt are the best methods. And using any combination of the three, or all three produces life like results. Skip adding at least one of these three looks like crap.
Mine will most likely Be all three, But I'll do experimental pieces to see which I like best.

Hey i skipped on one of the steps i don't think it was that bad LOL. I didnt use the foam wall cause the tank ended up looking like this super overcrowded. and i couldnt see the foam wall anymore. A cool idea imo is embed PVC pipe and elbows into the foam wall to to make artificial caves for fish to swim in i was gonna try but my tank isn't long enough

IMG_2113.jpg

Okay i just could not contain myself here is a day and a half of trades/purchasing from people on this great community :D. see the difference from about a week ago lol oh my gosh love it!!

showcase009.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

I did indeed get him and he is really pretty. I was going to take pics of him then he decided to go back into his shell and hide out so I will have to be quick with the camera next time he comes out. He is about 3' or so maybe even a little longer and is one slippery little bastard lol.

Newest addition :D copper band butterfly out of the qt tank and ready to ROLL quite a inquisitive butterfly and shows no fear

fishes001.jpg

also sarang's beautiful duncan colony :D pic dont do this piece justice. :( POC digital camera

fishes005.jpg

Harrison, Nice job. The tank looks great. I thought you were starting on something new. I am totally with ya on the addiction factor, I've actually had a tank since the day I was born (i'm 25 next month). I actually have the very tank in my shop right now. nice job that tank has a great footprint.

Tom

Harrison, Nice job. The tank looks great. I thought you were starting on something new. I am totally with ya on the addiction factor, I've actually had a tank since the day I was born (i'm 25 next month). I actually have the very tank in my shop right now. nice job that tank has a great footprint.

Tom

Thanks Tom when we goonaa see that pimped out 20 gallon.?:)

As i sit here and wait in anticipation for my hot pocket to come out of the microwave i think i will update :D

Livestock consist of:

antenna lionfish
Copper band butterfly
pair of clowns
one baby scribble rabbit fish
yellow watchman goby
6 line wrasse

Randomshots005.jpg

Randomshots006.jpg

Randomshots007.jpg

Randomshots008.jpg

Display tank shot under 20ks i think i prefer 10ks to be honest.
Randomshots012.jpg

Back