A few more big Tanks in the process in Tri-Cities.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
People are building tanks and getting ready to display them for viewing. I am sorry for not communicating more lately.
Recent trips included going to the Southern part of Oregon for a 300 gallon tank, canopy, stand, two skimmers, 4 400 watt mh and ballast, PC lighting, VHO lighting, a Auto top off system, two complete RO/DI units, 1/2 horse Pacific Imports chiller, Calcium Reactor, Rare Clams, corals, and lots, I mean lots of Figi LR(hundreds of lbs) and many more goodies. This tank was purchased completely set up. This trip was another learning process for all of us.
That trip took place last week end.
Local club members, Rico, Les, Rod, and Myself helped by taking care of animals for this friend.
I am hoping this person communicates as putting it together.

Life deals us cards at times that keep us busey. Then there are cards that are a breath of fresh air. Its fun to share the hobby, its even better to build a friendship while learning about this hobby..
thanks for the smiles this week end.
Sincerely,
Ed:)

Ok, here is tank number two. I am in the process of buying a 300 gallon cube. I may pick it up this week end. As we speak a builder is building my Stand and canopy. I am hoping that a local wood worker will give me some expert oppinions. I have to thank Congo for this. Congo explained to my wife that a cube would fit in the corner better than my present 90.
I am hoping to set it up efficient on energy.
Pumps will be here within a few days, Stand and Canopy will be built within the week and then delivered. I contacted Seller and let them know I am going to buy it. I just need to make the transition. I was hoping to surprise the locals with this. I may have hurt a friend in the process. I did not mean to hurt anyone. I just wanted to surprise you my friend. So here is the cat out of the bag. A 300 gallon cube will replace my 90.

Whoo hooo Ed! :D 300 gal is much better than 90 :lol: . What are the dimentions on the cube? Now I really can't wait to make it over to see ya!

Ooh, I forgot. You have to show us pics.;)

Last edited:
Sweet! I have been building a 60 x 48 x 21 for myself. (21 cause I'm so short :D ) I am very happy for you. I really like the 48 wide as there are so many options for aquascaping. Not sure where I'm getting my mask and snorkel from yet, how about you? :lol:

IAP Brian said:
Sweet! I have been building a 60 x 48 x 21 for myself. (21 cause I'm so short :D ) I am very happy for you. I really like the 48 wide as there are so many options for aquascaping. Not sure where I'm getting my mask and snorkel from yet, how about you? :lol:
Brian,
You remember looking for a corner tank. I guess I got lucky..
cheers,

Thanks Everyone

Thanks Ed for all your help. I could not have done it without you. All that stuff was heavy.:eek: I will be available to help with your tank transport.

Rico, Les and Rod thanks for housing my critters and corals while I get this system fixed up and running.

James

James,
I had a good time, thank you. I would love for you to go to Seattle with me this week end. I am trying to make room in Garage for Tank.
I took time off work today.

wow that is very exciting Ed. The cubes sure look nice if they are done right.

And brian - I LOVE the 60x48 tank. Super nice dimensions.

Mat

Matt,
You should see Congos tank. I hope mine turns out nice. I usually listen to oppinions on it. I am not saying that I will always do what people say.
But I like input to compare. I am running Tunzes on my tank. I purchased them last Monday from Anthony C @ Reef Exotics. He has been good to me.

IAP Brian said:
Brian,
Wow, sounds nice! Are you going to make it to Renton this Week end for Frag trading event?
I would love to see how you set up your tank and take some more lessons from ya:)
Ed

Thanks for Professional advice...

:) Brian,
Thank you for the help and information on working with acrylic. Stand and Canopy are on their way from Texas. Tunzes came in today.
Thanks again,

Here is after I buffed it. I had to fill it with Water. It was hard for me not to put the Tunzes inside it.. My neighbors were chuckling as it was. Man, I am excited..

Last edited:
Thank you Ron Smith...Again..

:) :) I recently ordered a Custom Stand and Canopy. The kit came complete with instructions, and all the parts to put it together. You just have to finish it. The only thing I did not have was confidence and a expert wood worker. That is where Ron Smith came in. Ron gave some expert advice, some comfort knowing experience was there to help. Here is part of the Stand. It will probably be complete on Saturday, maybe even Canopy.
Ron probably thinks I was crazy doing a Happy dance in My drive way. I just could not help it.
Thanks Ron.:)
Here is picture of some of the pieces as they showed up from Custom Builder in Texas.

More pix

The workmanship had Rons Approval which means a lot to me.
Here is what was done in a few hours. I will post more later as it progresses.:)

James,
It was nice seeing you and meeting wife tonight. Thank you for giving me the chance to see a preview of what my tank will look like.:)

Wow.....Very nice Ed. The plan is starting to come together.:D So are you setting up the tank in the front yard and building the new "Fish Room" addition around it????
Scott

Last edited:
It's really looking good, I like the stand design and that whole outside atmosphere is very nice ;) . But now for the big question... how are you going to get in there and work on it through those canopy doors? Will the canopy move out of the way somehow? I'm just having flashbacks, I'm sure you have a plan, but that was my biggest problem with this tank, especially as tall as it is.

I can't wait to see it all set up in person!
Susie

Thanks in Advance

Susie,
Wife and I are going to Home Depot and Lowes today. I will probably pick up short ladder. I am also researching tongs again. James came over and last night and helped me put it together for a preview pix. My wife is getting excited about Sanding, Staining it, sanding, more stain, sanding, and finishing it. I have not recieved my Lite Rail system yet. I also need to try to figure out how my return plumbing is going to work out. I thought about reusing my Dolphin 2100. I have concidered using a Sequence pump as a return. If I order the pump, my concern is how long it will take to get here. I want to finish this soon. I favor the Sequence pumps because of support I recieved from Owner.
Wife getting ready to leave to buy more stuff. What has made this fun is my wife has actually gotten involved, A few friends have stopped by that heard about it,
Some times things like this bring old friends together. All I can say again, is Thanks again for the enjoyment. I always wanted a larger tank. Thanks to John Thorman in Texas, Brian at IAP, Susie, James, Ron Smith, Scott, Mike, Paul, Rod, and some cool neighbors for the words of encouragement and help.
Sincerely,

PS, if any of you are looking for a Stand and Canopy made with quality workmanship, Please contact me. This Stand and Canopy cost me very little compared to the ones you can price. If you are able to connect the dots, follow directions, and good at finishing wood. My stand and canopy are made of 3/4 inch Oak. All I can say at this point is, the cost was very cheap for what I recieved. The kit includes everything from screws, wood, and hinges and instuctions. Again, you just have to finish it. I spoke with builder. He asked for a week to build it. He did everything he agreed he would do. It was shipped out with in a week. I recieved it a week later.
Good guy to deal with..

Ed Hahn said:
James,
It was nice seeing you and meeting wife tonight. Thank you for giving me the chance to see a preview of what my tank will look like.:)

Wow!!! Nice tank and stand. I can't wait to see you at next meeting.:) :D

Thanks,
Zul

Back