A good skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gazbo

I been skimming through the old threads and seems like there are mixed reviews on skimmers.

I now have a old SWC skimmer that just isn't working right I can't get the bubbles to even make it to the collection cup they stop about 2" short and out of the outlet of the skimmer in a ton of micro bubbles which is getting into my DT I have to adjust it every couple of days when it is working correctly I just replaced the pump thinking that maybe that was the issue and if anything its worse, its been 3 days and still no change I know sometimes it takes some time to get everything working correctly but think its time to replace it.

My tank is 150gl and the sump is 55gl semi heavy bio load and have mixed tank slowly converting it more toward sps and lps but have alot of soflties to. Looking for something doesn't have an issue with dumping a bunch of micro bubbles back into the sump and doesn't constantly have to be adjusted.

Thanks

here is a pic. when its working correctly, when its working right it does a awesome job but still always had an issue with micro bubbles

newpicsofsump007.jpg

protienskimmer001-1.jpg

I bought this with my tank so not sure how really it should look but the top says SWC on the lid and the foam that was with it keeps slidding down the pipe, I have a rubber band holding a piece of foam at the top but there are still bubbles. This sump isn't a traditional one with baffles to help reduce the micro bubbles it is how it came with the tank but thinking when I replace the skimmer it would be a good time to add some baffles to help with this.

I likey obd. irs skimms great. but your skimmer looks a lot like the one I have for my seahorse tank that isn't working any more. so im trying to get it working. bit my obd skimmer is on my 180g predator tank.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Last edited:
I have a skimz protien skimmer. Very happy with it. As far as i can tell, aqua cave is the distributor for us here in the us. The model i have is the SM 251. It has an air draw of 1,920 l/h. You should check them out.

SKIMZ Kone E-Series Protein Skimmers - AquaCave.com

SKIMZ Monzter E-Series Protein Skimmers - AquaCave.com

They look like good units and have good reviews. How is yours? are you constantly having to adjust it, and how is the micro bubbles it produces? The reviews are good on the skimming of the unit but nothing really on the normal maintenace and any issues discovered down the road

I likey obd. irs skimms great. but your skimmer looks a lot like the one I have for my seahorse tank that isn't working any more. so im trying to get it working. bit my obd skimmer is on my 180g predator tank.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

I was checking them out and looks like a great unit really like the feeding option but it says its rated for 100-150gl tanks and just worried it might be undersized for my system

I use to work out of town alot but things slowed down and haven't had to but sure it will happen again soon so a unit that doesn't need constant adjusting is important maybe there is no such thing but like I said when my Skimmer is working I was adjusting every 1-2days. So any feedback on units that do this, maybe they are all basically the same I don't know I have not purchased a skimmer for many years

The OBD Air Driven Counter Current skimmers is a set and forget unit. I know for a fact it will handle a tank over 150gals.

Your SWC skimmer will probably be fine if you (worst case scenario) pick up a new pump for it. Have you taken it out lately and completely cleaned it? Quite often you will get a calcium and salt build up in the venturi causing lack or air intake. Unless your pump is changing it RPM's the air intake or sump water level is the only reason the level inside the skimmer will change other than feeding. Also, the water should run through the sponge on the output telling me that it is dirty at least in that picture. If its clean and there is still too much water to run through the sponge your problem is almost definitely lack of air through the venturi.

Last edited:
I just put a new pump on it since it was having issues and its worse now.Before I would clean it and it would work great but would have to adjust it every 2-3 days before I couldn't adjust it anymore then clean it again start over but then it got to the point I was adjusting daily and after 3 days it couldn't be adjusted anymore that's when I put a new pump on it and now the bubbles stop shy of the cup really small bubbles not large working slowly into the collection cup as before. I have not changed sump water level and as far as feeding goes I have increased those trying to get my sailfin tang weight back up

YOu have and ATO of some sort on your sump then and the water level in the sump chamber doesn't change? Have you cleaned the air intake on the venturi?

Yeah I have a ATO and when I changed out the pump I blew out the air thing and seemed clean

I blew out the air thing and seemed clean
Blowing out the air intake will not remove the calcium/salt build up. You either need to soak it in vinegar or reem it out with something. I usually run a drill bit into it real quick. There really isn't no other explanation for your skimmer to not have enough air.

I will try anything, there is a black cap looking thing at the end of the airline is that needed?

I will try anything, there is a black cap looking thing at the end of the airline is that needed?

No it is not. It's a silencer and it can also be plugged with salt creep. Often there is poly material in the silencer that can be plugged with dust

what other changes have you made recenlty as far as additives and foods.

I have heard this story before and just have trouble believing that other than the pump or someting is plugged ,dirty or broken, that a skimme just stops working. imo you bought the new pump so I would stay with it until you figure it out.

Back