A good skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yeah the only thing I can think of is I did a full sump clean out/maintenance a couple weeks back and its crowded maybe the water current changed enough to mess it up but its always been a pain. Think I will just keep moving it around find the sweet spot. Now I got to think that maybe its time for a real sump or modify this one like a sump should be add baffles get the equipment separated a little both intank pumps are within 2" of each other on the skimmer pump and main supply pump

you can either modify that skimmer, or be done with it...
if it was me, id just drop kick it to the curb... you've obviuosly had it for years... its done its job..

and +1 on the OBD skimmer... its sick. a little overkill for that tank, but you can dial it in perfectly to whatever power you want.

Yeah think I will look into OBD skimmers. But also think it would be beneficial to modify my sump this weekend what is a average water height for most Skimmers think I read 9" on one unit is that about average?

It seems most venturi type skimmers fall between the 8-10" water depth range. With ours, it doesn't matter the water depth since it is not reliant on the back pressure of the pump being under water to feed it properly. The small maxi-jet pump feeds it perfectly and it can be tuned with the included gate valve on the exhaust. The air is separately injected with an air pump and that too can be regulated individually from the water flow. So in essence, between tuning separate water and air inputs, you can tune this skimmer to just about any size aquarium with any size bio-load. There are min/max's to it's size/load capacity but they are vastly wider than most venturi style units.

Which skimmer would you recommend the R6 or signature series. That way I have an idea how much space to give when I add baffles to my sump

They look like good units and have good reviews. How is yours? are you constantly having to adjust it, and how is the micro bubbles it produces? The reviews are good on the skimming of the unit but nothing really on the normal maintenace and any issues discovered down the road

There are no micro bubbles. The only time i readjust the skimmer is once a month when i take it out and clean it. Cleaning mine is a breeze. Only trouble i have is getting it out of my stand. Stand isnt thought out very good.

The RLSS R-6i skimmer is a very nice unit. It is a venturi style unit and will require the typical adjustments and a certain water depth to perform. It is powered by the Waveline DC2500 pump which is a variable speed pump so you can set your water flow rate. This hits your target aquarium size. If an upgrade in aquarium size or a heavy bio-load is in your future (like most of us :D) I would look to the Signature Series unit as it can handle a lot more volume and is adjustable to handle much less as well. The footprint on the RLSS unit is small at 9" x 6 3/4" so I would recommend a minimum box sixe of 10" x 10" while the OBD Signature Series needs roughly a 12" x 12" box to fit comfortably with a little wiggle room.

[QUOTE The footprint on the RLSS unit is small at 9" x 6 3/4" so I would recommend a minimum box sixe of 10" x 10" while the OBD Signature Series needs roughly a 12" x 12" box to fit comfortably with a little wiggle room.[/QUOTE]

Do these sizes include pump as well or just the unit itself? After I modify my sump hopefully I can get my skimmer working until I can get funds back (swap was to much fun)and replace skimmer later if not will have to due it asap. Due you have the OBD signature in stock and what is the height? I know there's room for the RLSS.

Thanks Mark

The RLSS pump is installed inside the bottom of the skimmer so you do not need to allow any extra space.

The Signature Series skimmer does have a little maxi-jet pump to put somewhere but it is really small and since it is remote you can put it just about anywhere and just run a hose from the pump to the skimmer input.

The sump is 55gl I plan on putting baffles in this weekend if I gave an area of 12"X16" would that be enough for both pump and skimmer on the signature series? Then the other concern I have is height only have about 26" unless I position it between my framing and gain another 3 1/2".

I haven't really got any skimming for about 4 days now when should I start to panic?

Do you have the OBD signature in stock and what is the height?

I forgot to answer these... The height of our skimmer is exactly 26" and you will need about 1/2" minimum for lifting the cup off for maintenance so hopefully you can position it between your framing to gain that extra height. The diameter of the cup is 10" exactly so make sure you have enough room between your lumber for that. If all else fails we can build you a custom unit that is a couple of inches shorter to fit. I would take a few days. We have the standard 26" tall one on the shelf now ready to go.

A 12" x 16" area would be plenty of room in the sump.

I haven't really got any skimming for about 4 days now when should I start to panic?

I am a big fan of large skimmers, so when I say this, it almost hurts LOL
You can get by without a skimmer for a while. You just need another way of nutient export.
An extra water change a few days earlier, will do plenty.
Feed a little less.
I know some people run nice reef tanks without using a skimmer, although I would never do it.

. If all else fails we can build you a custom unit that is a couple of inches shorter to fit. I would take a few days. We have the standard 26" tall one on the shelf now ready to go.

Great to hear thanks for your help. If making it shorter would that effect the performance at all and would there be any price increase for a custom build like that. If I can't get mine up and running this weekend then deffinetly will be replacing it and shorter would make it easier for me but don't want to effect the performance so I would keep it stock then.

An inch or two does not effect the performance enough to make any significant difference. That being said, I don't know if we could have a custom one built by this weekend. I would need to check our schedule and see if we could knock it out or not. There is no extra charge for a shorter version of the original. There would be for taller as it involves more material but not for shorter.

An inch or two does not effect the performance enough to make any significant difference. That being said, I don't know if we could have a custom one built by this weekend. I would need to check our schedule and see if we could knock it out or not. There is no extra charge for a shorter version of the original. There would be for taller as it involves more material but not for shorter.

Yeah I wouldn't need one this weekend but if I fail getting mine working this weekend after the sumps modified then possiby the following weekend if your schedule allows I will let you know Sunday or Monday if that works for you. Oh and if mine does some how decides to work again I will still be replacing just may take a little to build the funds up could do it now if forced but may cost me a few nights on the couch:) Thanks again for your help and everyones input.

amyqu3ud.jpg

urezuteb.jpg

lets try this. apparently the pics didn't go thru. I had them on here but I dont know why they didn't work.
Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Looking at your setup I am a bit comfused, you have the gate valve on the input between the Maxijet which i assume is under that reactor and the skimmer input? It looks like your outflow pipe is just free flowing straight up? Is that correct? If so, why did you gate valve the input? Thanks
ichy

Back