A good skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

With all my vast self important aquarium knowledge, I was about to point out that you do not have a SWC skimmer, it is more likely a Euro-Reef as SWC has never ever used that tyle neck connector, and if it did say SWC on top it mst have picked up a different top at some point in its life.
Then I came across this picture.
skimmer.jpg

And so now I will sheepishly go back to being a noob..

here is a pic. when its working correctly, when its working right it does a awesome job but still always had an issue with micro bubbles

newpicsofsump007.jpg

protienskimmer001-1.jpg

Well at least you found a picture of one Couldn't even do that. Last time it was giving me problems I looked everywhere for a pic. Or manual for it and gave up. I am guessing its around 8 years old but I have no idea I bought it with the tank,

With all my vast self important aquarium knowledge, I was about to point out that you do not have a SWC skimmer, it is more likely a Euro-Reef as SWC has never ever used that tyle neck connector, and if it did say SWC on top it mst have picked up a different top at some point in its life.
Then I came across this picture.
And so now I will sheepishly go back to being a noob..

*facepalm....lol
yes, SWC actually had that design first, before honya shenizen in china sold it to octopus as well...
then coralvue starting importing them to usa.
so that is the same as a first genereation octopus skimmer.
yes, prolly 8 years old or slightly more. :)

Well my sump modifications didn't work. I did clean out the air intake to the pump and there was some build up thought it was fixed but not that lucky it helped and I am barely skimmy at max flow. So I have Mike at OBD making a custom skimmer and will pick it up this Saturday.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and ideas will let ya know how this Cadillac skimmer works.

Well got everything installed I also talked myself into buying a bioplastic/Reactor setup while I was there, now its just breaking it in and doing some fine tuning. So far love everything about it, high quality and setup up was very easy. Thanks again to everyone at OBD, always fun and enjoyable:)

Well still trying to dial in the Skimmer in not sure what the total break in period is either its to much or not enough but sure I will have it soon, think the bioplastic reactor is helping corals have larger than normal polyp extension everything is just looking better than ever.

Hi Gaz, I was hoping for an update on your new skimmer from OBD? Have any pics? You have had it a few weeks now, was just wondering how it was doing, I am close to giving up on building my own *' version and am probably going to pick up an OBD Sig Series my self so was just curious how yours is doing.
Tanks
Well still trying to dial in the Skimmer in not sure what the total break in period is either its to much or not enough but sure I will have it soon, think the bioplastic reactor is helping corals have larger than normal polyp extension everything is just looking better than ever.

Actually just got broken in this weekend now is just fine tuning. Definitely worth every penny and I would also suggest adding the biopellet reactor to anyone system my corals seem to be doing better than ever, better polyp extension.

ForumRunner_20130313_123939.jpg

Back