A little light advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Phatman

I recently upgraded my 100g to 180g. I also have finally, a proper light. The light Has 4 pc two on each side and three 250w hqi's. The 4 pc's are on the same plug. So there time frame is all the same. I am looking for a little a quality combination for my corals. (wide mix of coral) Plus i want to keep the late night actinic look. I guess my question is Do i really need the daylight light. Or could i go to a higher k without sacrificing growth. Any advice helps before i go and replace all these bulbs.

I dont really understand the pc situation. But as far as the metal halides usually the higher k ex. 20k will be more blue bringing out the color of your corals but slowing growth a little 10k would be more of a white color and your corals will have a little more of a "faded look" but will grow a little faster IME. You usually run something like actinic s 2hrs before halides come on and actinics 2 hrs after.

So like 12-10 pm actinics
2-8pm halides.
at night you can choose to run moonlights.

Remember pictures always contribute to knowledge on exactly what you need.

If the halide bulbs aren't older than 6-8 months then i wouldn't replace them

If the lighting is one unit and the pc's are actinics then i would set them similar to my first post

if I am reading correctly you can change out your pc bulbs for antic ones and still use the pcs then 250hqi's you can also do the same. 14-20k will give you a bluer look in most bulbs I only like to bulbs and thats radiums and xm's in 20k but other that used different bulbs will chime in bulbs are a preference as to what you like and want to keep in your tank. also see if anyone replaced bulbs you should be able to test the old bulbs out on your system for either free or real cheap.

I understand all the times and K-rating. My only concerns is if i go 20k and keep the four PC's actinic, then i will deprive the corals. Resulting in slow or stunted growth. I could do half and half. 2 actinic and 2 daylight 10k pc's (or whatever these are called). This would result in me losing the actinic cycle somewhat.
I guess i am looking for the most successful combination, all around.

no I ran 20K MH and blue actinics with good growth just a bit slower but the color in the corals POP and they are very happy.
I will go with a pretty tank rather than faster growth..

I use 20k mh and actinic all the time and my corals grow pretty good.
To me it's about what the tank looks like, in combination with coral growth.

You could always stock your reef. Then run 10k's till you get a good amount of growth and switch over to 20k's once your happy with the size of them and want the color back.

yeah i think i am going to go blue! thanks for the advice.

Go for the look you are after... animals grow slow and patience is one of the foundations of this hobby. Forget fast growth... instead key on maintenance, care, and knowledge.

I Like what gragoneggs stated lighting although a important factor but flow stability and a routine maintance schedule is equally important. less flucuation better growth under 20ks i use 20k rated bulbs currently and had good growth rates. 10k colors will not pop as much but growth will be great. 12-15k still good growth and still on the blue side. 20k are good rated bulbs but keep in mind stablity is I guess I would say more important.

Back