A Sediment substrate that works

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Curt good idea I am sure tha mod could be made if the user so decided to.

Scott the slots are in the top plate (acrylic) of the plenum its self. the eggcrate is sitting on top of the whole plenum.

Mike

Curt,
I dont think that the O2 levels in the anaerobic zone are gonna harm things. Reason being that the facultative bacteria that live there can survive the influx of O2, until the layer becomes anoxic again. I agree that the plenum areas should be cleaned on a more regular basis to allow more stability in the tank.
Dumb question tho'......
From a maintenance standpoint, how willing are people going to be to remove a bucket, (a gallon or so) of foul smelling water each month? Think the Wife/husband/significant other isnt gonna complain????? Think again kids....
Just a thought from the practical side of my brain.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.....
Nick

Ahhh Nick your such a woman rofl...j/k looking for cover. I would imagine it will be close to the skimmer cup kinda thing..No?? Maybe a long hose??

Mike

mojoreef said:
Ahhh Nick your such a woman rofl...j/k looking for cover. I would imagine it will be close to the skimmer cup kinda thing..No?? Maybe a long hose??

Mike
Not so much, but I am kinda fond of the one I live with!:D
The hose thing has merit...Like I said, I'm just thinking about the maintenance side of things. I dont have a fishroom, (unfortunately, but some day, when I grow up and buy a house...), so I have to keep these sort of things in consideration. And if it is a hassle to do, than I noticed it eventually stops getting done....
Nick

LOL nick you just got engaged right???? hmmmmm Its all good buddy, I like the fact you are in touch with your femine side.

Ok now I am really ducking

Mike

I won't come out swinging :D I appreciate the smell from the skimmer cup - I know it has done its job, however, I think I'm the only one in my house that thinks so (see it isn't just the women that complain). I was instructed that the utility sink needed a good cleaning after dumping my skimmate in it.

Design looks good. I'm stuck trying to decide what kind of substrate would work best with the design? Sand on top of the eggcrate, with larger particle size above that? Or a larger crushed coral for the whole thing - maybe just a DSB?

Ok so lets wait for a few more to confirm and then we can go to the next step.

Mike

modification input

I like the idea of a modular unit that can be made to somewhat uniform sizes. This way we can get most people in on it with standard size tanks. The ends that exaust the water should have an angled up configuration through the acrylic and eggcrate so that the plenum can fit from front to back and not have a space that is not utilized. The front ends should have a removeable plug so as to add another section to the length. the width can be adjusted adding another module. If done in standard sizes (12", 6") they can be fitted together to fit most standard size tanks. The modules should be 4" across again to accomodate standard sizes.

Dan I am looking at this thing as kind of a custom thing to be made for individual tanks, do you really think we need to make it in such broken up peices??

Mike

yeah, I'd probably just build it custom to suit my tank size...

Just to make sure I'm not lost here....mojo, the scale of your plenum in your last diagram is exaggerated from front to back, correct? This is a one piece deal, not several vees side by side along the length of the tank, right?

MikeS

I may be wrong here but looks like waste can build up in several areas, unless you flush the upper region right before doing the drain thing and even at this point, I would think it would take several surges to remove most of the bound particles. Somehow, I'd think water motion would need to cover the nooks and crannies.

Mike as per scale I was just drawing it as if it was in my tank. So the one I drew was 24 wide and 35 fron to back with just one Vee. This would make each compartment about 7 or 8 inches with in the overall unit.

Scott Let me know where you see the flaws so we can try to fix them. on the total organics and so on I dont think thier is going to be alot of it. We are still shooting for nitrification and denitrification form our main processing so its the other stuff we are going to be having to deal with.

Let me know

Mike

The Design has come a long way almost to the point of actually testing. I was thinking of idle water spots between the supports, acrylic & piping but looking at the bigger picture, I think your right. I guess weighting it down may require more supports but other than that, the upper portion is in tune for discussion, I hope I don't miss too much while gone! :(

Originally posted by Scooterman I hope I don't miss too much while gone! :(

Honey, you don't understand. I CAN'T go on our honeymoon. We are putting together a new type of modified plenum on Reef Frontiers. :p

The thread will be here when you get back. Have a great trip and congrats in advance.

OK I think we are ready to get the ball rolling and do some testing. I just picked up a 20 gallon high, and I have the plenum as we have it right now being built, So hopefully by the weekend I will have a working model ready to test. I think for testing I am just going to go up the back of the tank and hook it to a PH. then just throw in some detritus and see it the unit suckes it all up.

So lets assume this is going to work the way we are planing and move on to the sediment sections above.

Have at it.

Scott have a blast and we will see ya when you get back

Mike

Silk stocking or some cover mesh over the crate. Then the fun part, a sand layer maybe 3" thick, maybe 2". Then we can build a rock formation on directly on top or we can do as I did with the tiny pvc pipe & build a rack to set the rocks above the surface.

Ok Hit me, I'm gonna get as much as I can before I'm doomed to leave! :D

I say a thin fine nylon fabric barrier on top of the eggcrate, then 2 inches of aragonite sand, another layer of nylon fabric (or perhaps fine nylon mesh for this layer, then 2 inches of a CC like (<3mm) substrate.

MikeS

Back