A whole new dimension!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I try to spot feed from time to time, but my fish and shrimp have figured this out and follow my turkey baster around the tank, often picking big meaty chunks out of the LPS coral mouths. The amazing thing is the fish/shrimp learned which corals received the spot feeding and would run laps around the tank checking out each LPS spot. That picture of the orange acans eating would last about 3 seconds in my tank. And once the food is ripped out of the corals mouth, it almost always recedes and doesn't benefit from any of the food floating in the water. I found I need to distract the fish/shrimp with food on one side of the tank while I spot feed corals on the other side.

My shrimp are the same way and there's at least 10 shrimp in this tank. When I want to spot feed corals, I have to make sure the fish/shrimp are all well fed first...lol.

The above pictured Acan is on a frag rack, that the shrimp rarely venture onto, which helps. However, that's not the case with most of the other Acans. That Acan consumed that piece, in about 10-15 minutes.

Michael, I have been spot feeding meaty foods to my acans forever, and get great growth! I actually do it with all my LPS corals at least 2-3 times weekly. Keep it up and they will grow much quicker.
That orange acan is very pretty by the way, and I hope you can grow it fast enough to trade me a chunk for a different one!:D

Bon Voyage, dear friend.....

It's kind of a sad day, but not really....lol.

The other day, this magnificent bubble coral was relocated, to a fellow local hobbyist. After being with us, for at least 2 years, we'll miss it, but it was just taking up too much room, for some changes I plan to make in the future. It was time...

So these will be the last "current" photos of this beauty, from my tank. However, I know where it went, and will visit it, when I can. So, other photos may come, in the future, in someone else's tank!

This Bubble Coral is nearly 12" in diameter, in these photos, sometimes expanding even larger.

5550388965_1aede77b9e_b.jpg

5550390727_a1cda2a7dc_b.jpg

5550390727_a1cda2a7dc_b.jpg

Thanks again for such an awesome coral Michael! You are welcome to visit it any time! I will get photos up on my thread soon. Just gotta get it into the right spot in my tank to get it to the size it was in your tank!

Thanks again for such an awesome coral Michael! You are welcome to visit it any time! I will get photos up on my thread soon. Just gotta get it into the right spot in my tank to get it to the size it was in your tank!

You're very welcome. Thanks for helping me make room for the clam I just got, today!! Here's some teaser shots, since it's in low light, right now. I'll have more pics of it, tomorrow evening.

Here it is, still at Coral Props, this afternoon, under nothing but natural sunlight.

5587400740_f2963a6f3e_b.jpg

Here it is, at home, acclimating, with the help of my granddaughter.

5587436468_b0970752ed_b.jpg

5587438398_f639f71174_b.jpg

Low light shot, in the tank.

5587445712_d1382781c3_b.jpg

Here's the first photo I took of it, during our field trip, Feb. 20, 2011, while it was still in QT.

5465684834_c6d2fde0c3_b.jpg

Here's a photo, from yesterday, at the greenhouse, in his system, receiving more sunlight than in QT.

5587400740_f2963a6f3e_b.jpg

Here it is, in my tank. Just got home, and took this photo, a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, shooting it through the glass, doesn't really show the different shades of beautiful green.

5590810974_e8d0686109_b.jpg

I bet if you do take some top down pictures we could see the green better. It is still a beautiful clam. =)

Yes, you will definitely be able to. Just standing and looking into the tank, you can see a lot of green. Well, you're a lil' short, so may not be able to...lol. Okay, just kidding, kinda.

sid, want me to bring my box over?

Gina, are you coming to the meeting Saturday?

Sure, bring it over! I assume you're also bringing over your camera? At least I hope so! You're welcome to come on over to the house, early, if you want.

Back