A whole new dimension!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OMG. I didn't even notice any when I was there over the summer. Do you know if copperbands will eat them? My Copperband loves loves loves aiptasia. Let me know if you want to borrow him! =)

Copperbands will not eat them. They do a wonderful job on Aiptasia, but virtually ignore Majanos. Raccoon Butterfly will gobble up Majanos, but are very likely to gobble up corals as well. A few people have had Raccoons that didn't bother corals, but most aren't that lucky. As far as I know, through A LOT of research, this file fish is the only fish that's "somewhat reef safe," that will also "maybe eat majanos."

Copperbands will not eat them. They do a wonderful job on Aiptasia, but virtually ignore Majanos. Raccoon Butterfly will gobble up Majanos, but are very likely to gobble up corals as well. A few people have had Raccoons that didn't bother corals, but most aren't that lucky. As far as I know, through A LOT of research, this file fish is the only fish that's "somewhat reef safe," that will also "maybe eat majanos."
Mike, I have tried that fish once. He started eating aiptasia and majano rightaway (after just 10 seconds) when I added him to the tank. But the next day or two he found more pricy dishes: acan and scoly! or any beautiful PLS. he polk out "only" the eyes of those LPS. OUCH! I had to move all my LPS to the refugium for a couple of weeks, then he started picking on some big pollyp SPS. Fortunately that he's easy to catch so I got him out. Please be caution!

Dang, let me know if you have that racoon for rent. LOL.

Last edited:
Mike, I have tried that fish once. He started eating aiptasia and majano rightaway (after just 10 seconds) when I added him to the tank. But the next day or two he found more pricy dishes: acan and scoly! or any beautiful PLS. he polk out "only" the eyes of those LPS. OUCH! I had to move all my LPS to the refugium for a couple of weeks, then he started picking on some big pollyp SPS. Fortunately that he's easy to catch so I got him out. Please be caution!

Thang, which fish are you talking about, that you tried? I only ask because your response quoted my comments about Copperband Butterfly fish and Raccoon Butterfly fish. I didn't get either of these. I got a Tassled File Fish.

Dang, let me know if you have that racoon for rent. LOL.

try to catch it is very challenging,,i meant very difficultly,,warning :no acan no blasto no scolly,,sps short polyh only,,not even milli or pink lemonade:faint2:

sorry,back to you Micheal

Thang, which fish are you talking about, that you tried? I only ask because your response quoted my comments about Copperband Butterfly fish and Raccoon Butterfly fish. I didn't get either of these. I got a Tassled File Fish.

I am talking about he file fish that you have in the picture. :)

Long overdo bulb change. While I had all the old bulbs out, I decided to remove and clean the reflectors. Before and After photos were both taken, with identical camera settings and un-edited, so as to show the actual difference.

Before:

5753052575_268fc5ab53_z.jpg

After:

5753598296_fa016b33f9_z.jpg

LOL Yeah, it's more of a dramatic change than I expected! I will be going with a shorter photo period, for a few days and then lengthening it, by an hour per day, until I'm back to my normal length of time.

Keep your eyes open, in the next couple of days, for a new thread, re-introducing the 40 frag tank, lit with a 250 MH Pendant.

Holy cow that's a big difference Michael. Did you change all the bulbs at once or phase them in? How long did you run the last set before this change? We are getting ready to change ours out as well. It's been since mid Oct. We were going to change 2 bulbs first then the other 2 a week later.

I have a total of 10 bulbs, above the 200, a 6 bulb and 4 bulb fixture. I've always changed them all at the same time. However, I usually change them every 12-14 months. This time, it's been 18 months...lol. 2 of the old bulbs have actually been burned out, for about 2 months.

When I change to new bulbs, I usually run a shorter photo period for awhile and also will only light one fixture, for the first couple of hours of that shorter photo period.

Back