A whole new dimension!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OK , Here ya go.

Good Luck, Sounds like a good plan. Post up some pics of the process.

Thank you! I will be posting up some Before/During/After photos, once this is all completed.

Wow..sounds like a lot of work just to rid of some unwanted palys
Good luck

Yes, it is a lot of work. These aren't just "unwanted palys" though. These are extremely toxic and I'm almost sure they are responsible for some SPS casualties I've had recently. About a year ago, I had a small patch of these, growing on the front glass. I quickly scraped them off, with a razor, immediately removing them with a net. The entire "operation" took about 30 seconds. The next morning, about half of my corals were completely dead and I was EXTREMELY SICK for several days!!! That was just a small patch of them. They've grown extremely fast since then, taking over almost half of the tank. Unacceptable...lol

So far, things are going relatively smoothly. I'm in the process of filling the tank back up. Tank is about half full and I'm making more RO/DI water and mixing more SW, to continue filling...

Well the project is almost done. Unfortunately, I've suffered some losses...GRRR. I have some livestock outside, in a 100 gallon stock tank, without a heater, since the temperatures have been so high during the day and not cooling down much at night. Unfortunately, Sunday night, it cooled down A LOT. I awoke, Monday morning, to an air temperature of 49 degrees! The water in the stock tank was 58 degrees!! Unfortunately, I lost a few fish and corals, which really bummed me out. Temperatures have been in the 90s during the day and dropping to the mid 70s at night. I've been keeping the stock tank cooled down, during the day with a fan but hadn't even considered the need for a heater.

I lost my pair of Bengai Cardinals and my Tomini Tang
I lost several Echinophyllia, my encrusting Superman and Rainbow Montipora and my Birds of Paradise colony, my huge Orange Monti cap and my huge Idaho Grape Monti.

Oh and I also got the HECK shocked out of me by a fairly new MJ1200!! GRRR

The 200 is back up and running with rock, corals and fish all doing well. I'll probably add a little more rock in the next few days and the corals still need to be placed in their final locations.

As promised, Before/During/After photos.

As I mentioned, this was about a 4 day project. During the project, I utilized 2 100 gallon stock tanks and an empty 75. 1 of the stock tanks and the 75 were outside, with the other stock tank inside. Outside temperatures had been in the high 80s for several weeks, dipping down to the high 70s at night. I didn't even think to utilize a heater and only used fans to keep the temperature down. Unfortunately, one night of this project got very cold, down to about 42 at night. Most livestock that was outside perished...

Before

You can see the offending Zoanthids/Palys all over the bottom of the tank, on the front glass and covering a lot of rocks. You can also see the offending Mushrooms. You may also be able to see some of the damage done, to the SPS corals, by the offensive buggers. Not only were SPS being damaged, I would become physically ill, very ill, after spending even short amounts of time with my arms in the tank.

7839721956_f26f6942ed_b.jpg

7839726120_6dcd8a699f_b.jpg

7839730282_1b61b113fe_b.jpg

7839735892_7fafbc5f61_b.jpg

7839743734_86de602c70_b.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the the entire bottom is covered in the pests.

7839746728_e109444779_b.jpg

Stay tuned for more...

Here's some photos taken, during the process.

7839775510_451648c87b_b.jpg

All livestock and rock removed, tank drained about half way

7839783530_df0f4657c8_b.jpg

7839748638_25551af23f_b.jpg

Holding facilities

7839752560_f214952ccb_b.jpg

7839755178_181a0439b1_b.jpg

7839763060_beed55f6f8_b.jpg

Rocks that had the offensive beasts on them were allowed to dry out. In fact, they're still dry...

This pile increased in size, throughout the project

7839765548_561ec51063_b.jpg

Next up, the finished project...

After many hours of heart wrenching deliberation, I think it's time to take a break from the hobby. Angie and I are both going to school, which keeps us both very busy. Madison is in competitive dance and we also have other interests that take up much of our time. Unfortunately, this leaves us very little time to enjoy our tanks. I know that eventually, we will return to this wonderful hobby that we both once loved. It's just that, right now, neither of us feel the "addiction," and haven't for awhile. With a sad heart, I come to say that the 200 Deep Dimension will be coming down...

We are truly sad to see you go but wish you much luck and success with your other endeavors. You always had beautiful tanks, and I enjoyed the pics of your systems. Will look forward to the eventual return of returnofsid.

We are truly sad to see you go but wish you much luck and success with your other endeavors. You always had beautiful tanks, and I enjoyed the pics of your systems. Will look forward to the eventual return of returnofsid.

Thank you so much. I do believe, eventually, that Sid will return...

To be continued...
Sad to hear this but I'm sure the 200 will be back soon enough.

Probably not the 200...but something. The 200 will be sold.

Will you be selling some frags/coral before you break it down? I just got back into the hobby and am looking for livestock.

Jesse, yes, I'll be selling most, if not all of the livestock. I'm still debating if I'll keep the 40 breeder up and running. If so, some of the livestock will go in it. If not, well, it'll all go...

At times we all need a break from almost anything we do.
They say "You never know how much you appreciate what you have, until you no longer have it."
I think you will be back sooner than you realize.

Keep in touch

This is sad news Michael.
But we all know, life goes on and we must do what is necessary.
I do hope you do keep your 40 going with some easy to maintain corals.
Just something to keep a spark going........................................

Well I hope you hang out here still and share you vast wisdom! We will miss you if you dont! Keep the 40 going. Just simple and easy! I.guess we wont have you at Barriers sales buying up everything! LOL!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

This is sad news Michael.
But we all know, life goes on and we must do what is necessary.
I do hope you do keep your 40 going with some easy to maintain corals.
Just something to keep a spark going........................................

Martin, it is sad...especially as I was just composing the classified ad...

However, this hobby, along with this wonderful forum, have helped me to be involved in a wonderful reefing family. Many of my very best friends were met through Reef Frontiers! Those people will always have a special place in our hearts. For now, we will keep the 40 breeder running. I don't know if we'll keep it up for long though. I do believe that we will return to this wonderful hobby, when the time is right, and I know that I'll still have RF to be a part of.

Well I hope you hang out here still and share you vast wisdom! We will miss you if you dont! Keep the 40 going. Just simple and easy! I.guess we wont have you at Barriers sales buying up everything! LOL!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sure I'll still be around. HAHA I'll probably still stop by Barrier Reef whenever we're over there. Can't stay away from all the friends we've made...

WOW! Sorry I missed this Michael, been off line for past several days.... for a change. We will definitely miss you around here but know that we all need a break now & then from any hobby/addiction. Damn sorry for not making it over for a visit but just don't seem to make it over your way to Priest River very often since my Grandfather passed. I'm trying to automate all that I can on my system so can enjoy more fishing without guilt/concern or even burn-out. If ever over this way and would like to spend a day at the best beach in Puget Sound give me a call/pm, would be happy to have you, Angie and Madison to visit.

Cheers, Todd

Back