Absolutely new to marine tanks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Laurel

Hello,
My boyfriend and I decided to try our hands at a marine tank. I have a 75 gallon African Cichlid tank, but we're both totally new to marine. We got a 29 gallon bio-cube and found 20lbs of cured live rock on craigslist. The guy that sold it to us showed us a few of his marine tanks and showed us some anemones that are "pests." We got the liverock home, and added it to the tank, and then got a few snails and crabs as a cleanup crew. This morning we awoke to find an anemone sticking out of one of the pieces of live rock. We got a photo of it, and were just curious if it's one of said "pest" anemones. Thanks!

anemone.jpg

It sure is... don't stress about it. They are pretty easy to manage and eliminate. It looks like you got some good LR though.

Make sure you read through the stickies up top. You have a lot of information to read and digest :)

ditto to what JediMike says. It's a majano. best to nip it in the bud while you only have one because they can spready pretty quickly.

You can pickup a product called Joes Juice and squirt it with that. Or, If you have a syrnige on hand, you can fill it with kalk paste or hot water and squirt it with that.

good luck!
Ben

Boiling Water,pickeling Lime Ect Joes Juice Ohh U Need A Needle As Well For It Works Good .i Have Noticed Myself That If U Leave Some Alone They Dont Spread U Will Learn In Your Own Way That They Are Either A Big Problem Or Alittle For Ya Welcome And Good Luck To The Addiction!

Alright, thank you all very much. Yes, we do have a syringe on hand. Funny, we were at my mother's for thanksgiving and were injecting the turkey with butter, and my mom sent us home with an unopened hypodermic needle and syringe. We'll run to the pet store and get some joe's juiice or similar.

Is this a local board? I've noticed that most people are from Washington.

Thanks again!

Laurel,

For a poor mans way of doing this, I used warm water with white vinegar and a hypodermic needle. Make sure you inject them in the middle of the orpus or they will not die. If you just have one, easily taken care of, but they will multiple like rabbits in no time flat so you want to rid this pest now.

Thank you. We went to petco today while out running errands and they didn't have any calcium or sodium hydroxide. Since the tank isn't really established, we figured we could just take the rock out, and pour boiling water on the offender, then try to excise it, and pour more boiling water over that area. We figured that the boiling water should kill it, and any spores that may get anywhere, and not have such a large amount of mass(and thus ammonia) for the newly set up tank to try converting.

The easy and sure way

Injecting it will only make it go into defence mode,and release all it's little clones.1 remove rock, 2 dig the little thing out with a sharp knife, 3 put rock back in tank.

In this case since it appears to be only one, I agree with these steps, but not as easily followed if you have several that are on multiple rocks that are not easily removed.

Okay, here's the update -
We pulled the rock out, and somehow managed to lose the anemone. Since we didn't want to kill all the good stuff on the rock, we poked around with the needle and some just-boiled water. We got what we believed to be the anemone, but weren't able to pop it out, it was in a little hole and it was gooey. However, we haven't seen it since, so I'm hoping that it's dead. The only other thing is that we haven't had an ammonia spike, as is common(at least in freshwater) when something dies. Yesterday morning(before we did the execution and whatnot) our ammonia level was at .50ppm. This morning we tested and it's at .25ppm, no nitrites, and we have no clue on the nitrates, as I threw out the color card for saltwater some time ago. It seems that the live rock is doing it's job!

Yeah What I Do ,find It ,stab A Tooth Pick In It Just B4 U Pull The Rock Out. And Use A Infant Needel ,the Ones With A 1/8 Size Hole And Suck It Out Of The Hole . That Seems To Work That Is Why I Only Have A Few ....u Will Learn Thier A Few Other Breeds That Look Almost The Same That People Keep It Is All Up To U I Have 5 In My Tank That Dont Spread And Are Just Small And Have Been There Over A Year So Up To U ,but As A New Reef Nut Good Job !

Back