Acropora changing color

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

yes i would like to know how to up load my photo's on as well keeps telling me file size is to big but didg camera will not let me go smaller and clue's

OK I have been talking with Joe Burger from Cridarian Reef. I gave him all the detail that I gave all of you.
Color changes are a tough thing to nail down. The corals were in the tank for 4 months before changing, it's possible that the coral took that long to adjust and then changed color. I have had that happen a few times. But you should be able to maintain blues and purples with 10K 175 Watt bulbs. I wouldn't try the 10K+ Blueline, it's pretty weak with it's output.The 10K super white is a fine bulb though. Sometimes corals change color in ones tank. I have had a few acros that people gave me that were really beautiful dark purple and they only turned brown in my tank, so it's never a 100% that the coral will stay the same. The fact that the coral got lighter rather than darker leads me to believe that the nutrient levels in your tank are low, so I don't think there are any issues there. The only thing I could say is to play with placement (less light, more light and less or more flow) and see if you notice any differences. I am assuming you have other coral that are blue or purple but that are having problems with these particular ones. Trial and error on this one I'm afraid. Hope it works out.
-Joe

I agree with Joe that you can maintain Acropora corals color with 175W bulbs as long as you have the right bulb and ballast combination along with coral placement. I also do not believe that nutrients are causing the color change in your case but rather the bulb ballast combination.

Regards,
Kevin

Back