Acropora changing color

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Daniel Murray

Diver Madness
Hi, I have Purple Acropora and Blue Acropora Coral for about four months now they have been changing color to green. I do not no why. I hope some one can help me on this.
I use only Kent Additives (Coral Accel, Essential Elements, Strontium & Molybdenum, Super Iodine)
I all so use Eco Systems Reef Solution.
I was using Kent salt for about eight years but all the fish stores around me stop selling it. So I went to Tropic Marin Sea Salts for the last two years and now they all stop selling it one buy one. So for the past year I have been using Instant Reef Crystals.
I have a 180 gallon tank with 3 175w 10000k Super White BlueLine MH Lamp and 2 VHO URI Actinic Blue 72 in. 165 Watt Lamp and 3 BlueLine E-Ballast. My hood was buil buy Champion Lighting.
I hope this can help you help me
Thank you,
Daniel Murray

Last edited:
Daniel, IMO, you do not need to use all those additives to keep sps corals. Keeping calcium, alk., pH and temp in line should be more than enough. Also make sure your phosphates are 0 or as close to 0 as you can get. I used to use Reef Solution too, but after a while decided that it isn't necessary. I might also consider going to a 250w halide also. Like Brad said a 20k will definitely bring out the blues more.

How's your flow in this reef tank?? I just got rid of a 180g and was using 3 250w XM's over it and I thought that was barely enough lighting.

Thank you for your inputs I have 1200 GPM of water flow from my power heads and my return pump from my sump is rated at Max Head 39' MAX HEAD Flow 1750gph.
I do have many other corals in my tank.
But my SPS looked great under my lighting for more than a year now.
I am not sure about going to 20,000k bulb in my tank it just might make my tank look to dark and blue? what do you think?
Thanks for the help
Daniel

Just a idea, When was the last time you changed your bulbs? Bulb colors can shift over a period of time.

The 20k will bring out blue in coral and 10k will more so bring out greens and yellow. also blue would go green from lack of light but from more light. unless possibly a forest dark green. still the bulb color is the main factor. flow and chemical probs would more so brown out or darken the colors. not really turn green.

Daniel, a 20k will be a very blue spectrum color and if you're not wanting that much blue why not try a 10k in the reeflux. I just switched to them and love them. You can always supplement with actinics. These reeflux are in no way yellow to the eye at all. I have had lots of sps and acropora over the years and I can say with no doubt these bulbs have given me the bluest blues I have ever seen. I have no frags or colonies that have gone green or yellow under them.

If they went into the tank yellow or green they have stayed that way. IMO, as I have had a 180g., 175w halides are just not gonna keep that tank lit.

Daniel, a 20k will be a very blue spectrum color and if you're not wanting that much blue why not try a 10k in the reeflux. I just switched to them and love them. You can always supplement with actinics. These reeflux are in no way yellow to the eye at all. I have had lots of sps and acropora over the years and I can say with no doubt these bulbs have given me the bluest blues I have ever seen. I have no frags or colonies that have gone green or yellow under them.

If they went into the tank yellow or green they have stayed that way. IMO, as I have had a 180g., 175w halides are just not gonna keep that tank lit.

That is a good idea also. That is what I experienced when I switched to them also.

Thank you all for your input.
I do supplement with actinics I have two VHO URI 72" 165 watts.
The Blueline Bulbs (10,000k Super white) that I have are about eight months old and do give a Yellow look when the actinics are off.
All so if I went with 20,000k will it make my tank look dark?
I do like the 10,000k super white with supplement with actinics because it looks very bright like daylight when I go scuba diving.
Dose any one have Photos of there tank with 10k in the reeflux?
Gary at Champion lighting dose have 175w 10000k+ (14000K) BlueLine MH Lamp APPEARANCE: Blue/White? What do you think of this Bulb?
http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=18475&cat=552&page=1
I know Gary from Champion Lighting very well and for a long time. I know he would let me try out some bulbs. Unless you all think I would be better off with reeflux?
Thanks again,
Daniel Murray

Now granted, it sure doesn't look like this anymore, but here is a shot from June. 4 10K reefflux and 2 radium 20K.
IMG_5722.JPG.JPG
[/IMG]

Very nice,
I wish i can get my Photos of my tank to up load they say my file size is to big.
OK how do you like your 10K reefflux Bulbs? I take that they are in the center of the tank?
Now who sells them?

I never got the blue color out of my corals like the blue underneath the reefflux bulbs, but that is only my opinion. I really liked them. I think Premium Aquatics sell them, I am not sure, maybe Marine Depot also. They are both sponsors here, so check them out.

I think that Aquatic Dreams in Spokane Wa also sells them, but that would be quite a drive from NJ :)

you might want to check out this website. Joe has doen exhaustive research on lighting and shows about every bulb with and without actinic supplementation. www.cnidarianreef.com/ click on lighting..

I went to make sure the link was working and the lighting link is not there, maybe someone can fix that as I'm not sure what happened..

Last edited:
Back