Acropora Millepora

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So spongy are you a female reefer, hence doodette?? Where do live, states or overseas

i'm a female sponge coral addict dood:D .

Lighting hour is also very important IMO accordingly to my nutrients level(Maybe only applys to me)

yeah i dont' get it too... a little bit of explanation please :) .

lol...I figured you had to be a women, with well over 7,000 posts!! You women love to talk...lol

You know reefers that photoperiod caught my eye to...I assume, its the theory that cleaner, less nutrient water, allow in more light (PAR) per hour, hence shorter photoperiod...but please clue us in Singoporian...

I'm a high nutrient in (feed 2-3 times daily heavily), high waste out kinda reefer...deep sand bed to boot..take that you BB'ers...lol
Get awsome stable colors that way...no miricle products being dumped into my tank either...but my water is quite pristine...I run halides 7 hours a day, and actinics 12 hours a day...what do you other reefers do for photo length??

Doc

lol...I figured you had to be a women, with well over 7,000 posts!! You women love to talk...lol

that's nothing... you should chech how many posts my friend Krish has.

I have sand bed too :D, but don't have Milleporas yet :p only monti and another sps.
I only run MH for 7 hours and that's it .

7 hours...cool, same as me...8 was a bit much, lightened acros, and 6 was too littkle browned em a bit...so I'm at 7 now...

I had a ton of posts at Reef central, untill I "Moved on"....anyone reading this a member there? If so whats your name there, I bet I know you...I read there still everyday...here now to..

Doc Jerm

Last edited:
Never done many topdowns, but have to have 0 pumps on...hence very still water, I'll have to ask my wife more as she the pic taker in this outfit....

Doc

More feeding, 6 cube of mysis/cyclo/oyster eggs/pellet demand more hours of photoperiod. Mine is 8 to 9 hrs for MH and 12 Hrs for T5. I will usually adjust 1/2 hr base on my coral color.

T5 Combination
2 x ATI Blue plus (11k - a tint of blue)
2 x ATI Aqua Blue special (Blue)
2 x ATI artinic Blue (Artinic)

The quality of the T5 tube is very important IMO. Attached detail from our local distributor. I'm very tempted to switch all to T5:oops:

I'm still a beginner and learning everyday. P

Reefer Jerm is right. stop the pump and stay away from your lighting reflection:rolleyes:

post-75-1156688945.jpg

Last edited:
my halides{2x250w 10k reeflux} are on for 11 hours. Not running any actinics right now and have great color. The most intense blues I have ever had with any halide bulb before.

Hellooooooo SUE!!

Remember us......?????....Jeremy and Victoria...in Kansas..
Hope all is well with you and your tank...sooooo switched bulb brands huh...I have heard good things about the reeflux...brings out big time blues I'm told...of course I'm a radium man all the way....

How high off the water are those bulbs Sue? Boy 11 hours would fry my acros color withx3 250 radium SE's, in a 180 (ARO ballasts)...but I'm only 8-9 inches off the top of the water with the bulbs...How about some recent pics of your tank with those reeflux? Your acros have to be extremely massive by now...

Nice to hear from you again! I see you around on a few forums...

Doc

my halides{2x250w 10k reeflux} are on for 11 hours. Not running any actinics right now and have great color. The most intense blues I have ever had with any halide bulb before.

Hi SueT,
Great tank and solid polpy extention. :D your SPS are all smiling

Just curious, have u tried to add any blue supplement before. If not, you might not regret having one. Just my 2 Cents.:D

hey Jeremy, sure I remember you but didn't know that was you. lol..I still don't have a camera and pics are not easy for me to get being as I don't have one. My lighting is probably ~10-12" off the top of the water. My rock structure is not as high in the tank so no body is getting too much light or atleast everyone seems really, really happy.

Hi Wonder, yes, I've used actinics before but need to find a new ballast for them. Seems other things get put in front of that need.. Thanaks for the kind words.

Hi SueT,
Great tank and solid polpy extention. :D your SPS are all smiling

Just curious, have u tried to add any blue supplement before. If not, you might not regret having one. Just my 2 Cents.:D

Wonder, the link to the pics in my sig line are of my old 180g sps tank. Those pics were taken with 3 250w 65k iwasaki's and 2 160w URI 03 supplementation. Still couldn't get the yellow out of the pics. My current tank is the 120g. I just don't have current pics of it.

How are ya'll doing - first post - I have been running my halides for 12 hours. I have a 30" deep 180 gallon SPS tank with 3 x 400 watt 10K Reefflux bulbs in Lumenarc 3's about 8-9" from the water. I have been very happy with my colors. Has anyone else tried running their halides this long?

Hello and welcome to Reef Frontiers :)
A few years ago in the summer I was having a problem with my tank getting too hot so I reduced the photo period to 7 hours. Most of my corals (135 or so) kept their color but about a half dozen Acropora corals lost their blue tips and seveal others slightly darkened. At the time I didn't connect it to lighting. In October I returned the photo period to the original time of 9 hours. The blue tips returned in 2 weeks. I then tried 10, 11, and 12 hours but did not notice any change in color or growth. I returned the photo period to 7 hours just to repeat the color change and the corals quickly lost the blue tips. I currently run the same bulbs as you do but in PFO reflectors driven by PFO HQI ballasts for 9 hours. I'm running 16 bulbs over 5 tanks with excellent results.

Regards,
Kevin

All the gurus here, it's time to post more recent picture to share:lol:

Or there is another thread i can read all the SPS tank photo. Thx

Back